Adjusting Valves-Farmall B

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Adjusting Valves-Farmall B

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:46 pm

I looked in my service manual for the valve adjusting procedure for my B Farmall. The manual says to adjust the valves on TDC for each cylinder....I know how to tell when #1 is on TDC but, what about 2,3, and 4 :?: The service manual says to refer to the instruction manual for the procedure...I don't have a instruction manual nor do I know what it is. :? Does anyone know the procedure :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman
Cub-Bud
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:51 pm

2 ways:

Get #1 at TDC and adjust it's valves. Turn the engine 1/2 turn (mag impulse will click once) and do #3. One more 1/2 turn and do #4. After a final 1/2 turn adjust #2.

Get #1 at TDC. Then (counting from the front) adjust valves 1,2,3 and 5. Turn the engine 1 full revolution and adjust valves 4,6,7 and 8.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 75048
Circle of Safety Award

Postby George Willer » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:58 pm

I like to use Jim's second procedure. It works best if you make sure the starting point is on compression stroke of #1 in either case. (I'm sure Jim forgot to mention it.) It should work on any IH 4 cylinder engine.

The other procedure should work well too.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:58 am

Thanks for the replies.....I think Jim's second procedure is the same one used on the cubs. I will use the second procedure....been there, done that. :roll:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman
Cub-Bud
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Circle of Safety Award

Return to Other Tractors and Machinery