Farmall 140 transmission fill

Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:01 pm

I have a Farmall 140 that i just bought. I'm trying to check the transmission and PTO fluid levels. I understand there is a plug to remove so you know when it is full. I can't find it anywhere. Can someone tell me where it is? Also what size wrench do you need to remove the plugs to add fluid to the transmission and PTO? Thanks in advance.

Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:51 pm

The level plug is on the left side of the transmission housing, fairly low, partly behind the brake rod. The tranmission and PTO share the same oil.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:49 am

Is that the left side if your on the tractor or looking at it. I'm not seeing it for some reason. Thanks

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:50 am

Is it a hex head bolt or a socket head?

Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:29 am

Since I don't know where you stand when you look at it, better check the left as you sit on the seat. It is probably a pipe plug with a square head.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:11 am

Thanks Jim. I'll look for it there and see if I can find it.

Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:50 am

I can't see it anywhere on that side. Could the fender be hiding it or if it doesn't have one is there a way to know when it is full?

Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:14 am

Look here. This is from the Super A manual, but it should be the same.

Manuals are available from Binder Books.


Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:32 am

Thanks Jim, It was where the picture showed except its a female plug instead of a male plug.

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:48 pm

That's why I said probably. :)