This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Springfield 36 Garden Tractor

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Springfield 36 Garden Tractor

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:20 pm

I am not sure why, but I purchased this neat little tractor today. It is a Springfield 36, made in Springfield, OH by Quick Manufacturing in the early 60’s (I believe it is around a 62). I have done some internet searches and haven’t found out much about them, Quick Mfg. Apparently sold to Toro at some time and that is about all I can find on them other than they had power cultivators prior to this. It appears to be well built and all original… but the obvious, missing the steering wheel and seat! Previous owner said he purchased it from the granddaughter of the original owner and she kept the seat and steering wheel as a “memento” of gramps. :? It has a mower deck with 2 blades and the engine is a 7 HP Briggs & Stratton engine and I got the classic line “it was running good when I parked it”. I will stick a battery to it and see what it does. :)

Does anyone know anything about these? A guy on eBay notes he has “hundreds of Springfield manuals”, I have sent him an enquiry about my model.

Now the real dilemma… do I keep it original and complete the restoration or make a “Mini Cub” with paint and decals? :?: :?: :?:

Thanks,
Attachments
Springfield 36 tractor Quick Mfg 003 (Small).jpg
Springfield 36
David

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Springfield 36 Garden Tractor

Postby Rudi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:44 pm

David:

Interesting little lawn tractor. Nice looking and in good shape. Think you got a deal. I have never seen one before that I can remember anywhere during my forays around the net. This probably is a uncommon/unique machine. I probably would leave it alone and in it's original clothes. Keep us posted on what you find -- seat may be similar to a Cub Cadet Original or 100 series.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:12 pm

Rudi wrote:David:

Interesting little lawn tractor. Nice looking and in good shape. Think you got a deal. I have never seen one before that I can remember anywhere during my forays around the net. This probably is a uncommon/unique machine. I probably would leave it alone and in it's original clothes. Keep us posted on what you find -- seat may be similar to a Cub Cadet Original or 100 series.

Rudi,

I was amazed on how well built it is, guess that was more common 50 or so years ago. I also liked the bigger tires on the smaller machine (the rears are about the same height as the Cub fronts)

I found a few pictures in my searches and the seat is an odd one! :? I will likely keep it original as it is in good shape and unique. Saying this I will probably rig up a seat while I look for the correct one. Same for the steering wheel, it is a 3/4" shaft and has a pin in it, I think I can find something to work for now (better than the vise grips! :D )

Here is a picture of the seat I found:
Attachments
Springfield tractor from craigslist (Small).jpg
Another Springfield
David

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:17 pm

Standard Catalog of Farm Tractors lists only their 2 wheeled garden tractors. Quote. During 1953 Quick Mfg offered their Springfield 2001, 2002 and 2003 garden tractors. Unquote. Pictured is a 2 wheeled garden tractor. Paragraph futher describes the 2 HP Briggs engine and the 2 1/2 HP Clinton engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

TaylorLambert
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub, YM3000 Yanmar, 1975 3550 Ford backhoe Case Skid steers, and a fence row BF Moline

Postby TaylorLambert » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:32 pm

I have a Springfield just likethat one but missing the sheet metal. They are a rare and tough tractor. My neighbor still hopefully has the rearend he was supposed to put bearings in it. Dad traded for it and a little tubing trailer for me an my little brother to start learning how to drive and use machinery. Made may hundreds of trips into the woods riding. There was one in the neighboring town with all the metal and a factory blade but it was never for sale. He died in the midst of the scrap iron frenzy and I think its gone. I saw one other one at a sale one time sold for 1500. I need to get mine out and put back together and play with it.

Neil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Neil » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:27 pm

I have one also. It belonged to my dad. I inherited it when he passed away. It actually had a Wizard (Western Auto) badge on it, but dad always called it a Springfield. I painted it up, less the mowing deck, and gave it to my grandson to ride around on.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”