John Deere 65 riding mower

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:41 pm

I recently bought an old John Deere model riding mower. It has a small tcumsa pull start engine on it. So far I have not been able to get the engie to stay running. On ocasion it will fire one. The guy I bought it off of redid the points. They still look good but i am getting weak spark. Does anyone know what is wrong with it? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks, Ray

Re: John Deere 65 riding mower

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:44 pm

48 cub wrote:I recently bought an old John Deere model riding mower. It has a small tcumsa pull start engine on it. So far I have not been able to get the engie to stay running. On ocasion it will fire one. The guy I bought it off of redid the points. They still look good but i am getting weak spark. Does anyone know what is wrong with it? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks, Ray

i have the cure for it. :twisted: buy a sledge hammer, and pound till tender. guarunteed fixed for life

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:25 pm

somebody help him im the only one that has posted

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Possibly a weak or rusted magnet or magneto coil.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Not sure which model Techumseh engine you have. So the following may not apply.

Pull the flywheel and reset the points.

Clean up the magnet on the flywheel and clean up the field end of the magneto.

Reset the magneto. Put a piece of standard thickness paper (about .005") on the magnets and let the magneto drop - get pulled in by the magnets. Tighten the magneto screws.

Rotate the flywheel to make sure it clears the magneto.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:18 pm

id say need a new spark plug or coil