This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tractor selection/restoration/repair/maintenance books?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tractor selection/restoration/repair/maintenance books?

Postby pgmrdan » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:47 am

What books do you recommend for someone who has never owned a tractor but is looking for a small one? Doesn't need to be specific to any manufacturer, just a general tractor book.

Motorbooks International has a tractor restoration book that looks interesting. Is it any good?

Can you recommend any?

Thanks,
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ike » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:04 am

"How to Restore Classic Farm Tractors" by Tharran E. Gaines is a good general restoration book. It has lots of photos, all color. It covers everything from selecting a tractor to playing with it when the restoration is complete. It is published by Voyageur Press.

Ike

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:11 pm

Here's one of the first to consider: 'Antique Tractor Bible' by our friend, Spencer Yost. My opinion is admitedly biased since Spencer is a personal friend, but it really is a good book. It was published by MBI Publishing Company, ISBN 0-7603-0335-5. For those who may not know, Spencer is the owner of the other Cub site, http://www.atis.net/cgi-bin/FarmallCub.pl.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:41 pm

I have not seen the Gaines book, so can't comment. The book How to Restore Your Farm Tractor by Robert N. Pripps has been out for a long time. I consider it fairly marginal. It was better than nothing, which was about the only other choice at the time.

I will second George's recomendation of Spencer's book. For one thing, it isn't just one person's ideas. Spencer had a lot of input from the ATIS members. Also, this isn't just a restoration book. It covers use, hauling and a lot of other topics that you, having never owned a tractor, should be reading.

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:19 pm

Great!

I've seen the Pripps' book and the Gaines' book. The written content doesn't seem that different but the Gaines books is about 100 pages longer with all the blank space and nice pictures and costs about $5 more.

The reviews on Amazon.com of the Yost book are oustanding!

I think I'll have to order the Yost book. It's the only one of the 3 I haven't seen. Based upon what you guys have written and the reviews I've read it must be a winner.

Thanks,
Dan

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:00 pm

That didn't take long. I found a copy at a local book store and have it on my desk next to me.

Looks very good.

Thanks again,
Dan

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

tractor restiration, selection, repair, maintaince

Postby Little Indy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:39 am

I would like to see the club sponser a book on repair and restoration of Club tractors. There is alot of knowledge and wisdom in the postings in these forums. I would like it to cover items for the non mechanical such as how to remove a broken tap ( how many peope know that there is a special tool for this very castrophy. much less welding, dry ice, fiamond bits) and removing rusted bolts ( I Like diesel fuel put on weekly for a month or two and then oil of winter green or bore cleaner). I constantly learn about Little Indy and Big Red (what else would you call a Farmall Cub in Nebraska) in these forums. Any money made could be used for cubarama.
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 pm

Most of it is in the Bible mentioned above, not the Cub specific stuff.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”