This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Massey Ferguson Model 65

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Massey Ferguson Model 65

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:11 am

A buddy of mine has a Model 65 with a 4 cyl Perkins diesel. (I am not sure why everybody calls me but they do - sure wish I was a mechanic some days). Anyways, he had a problem with his 65. It wouldn't move one day - seems it was frozen. First thing I suggested was check for water in the tranny/drive line. He is pretty sure that it has condensation since it now moves after the temp warmed up a bit. Looked up the info on tractordata.com - [url]Massey Ferguson 65[/url] and it appears to me that this particular tractor shares tranny/hydraulic system - kinda like a hydrostat.

I am hoping that I am correct. Peter is a real newb to tractors so I want to make sure that I can guide him along properly. Yes .. looking for Owner's/Service/Parts manuals/catalogs now.

So does anyone have any experience with the 65 and where is the drain, the fill plug and any other pertinent lube information to share? Definitely will appreciate any help.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Massey Ferguson Model 65

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:43 am

I'm not very familiar with the 65. I imagine it is about the same as other earlier Fergusons. If so: Hydraulics use common oil with the transmission. Transmisison and differential are in a common housing and share oil. There are 2 low spots in the housing so there are 2 drain plugs. One is under the transmission, the other the differential. You have to pull both to completely empty it. There should be a fairly large filler plug in the top cover and a dip stick to check the level on one side. It will probably take about 8 gallons.

The original oil was probably 90 grade gear oil. The more recent AGCO hydraulic/gear oil is called Permatran. I believe it is recommended as the replacement fluid. You can use 80W90 gear oil and it will be as good as the original. I would substitute a high quality hydraulic/gear oil, same as I use in a Cub Touch Control system. The Ferguson hydraulic systems were terribly slow when cold, especially in cold weather. Using a modern oil like Permatran or Hytran will fix that problem. Years ago, we used a Ferguson to plow snow. By the time the hydraulics started working worth a hoot,we were done plowing.

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Done some work on a 165 massey gasser if yours has the power shift option ( kinda their answer to TA) it can be a problem child if any outa adj low fluid n such Real picky system.And if it does it WILL FREE WHEEL IN LOW SIDE ON DOWN HILL SLOPES belive me been there down that changed the shorts.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Jim:

That is what I thought. Thanks for the tip on the double drain plugs .. and the dip stick. Will mention that to Peter. I told him that I thought Permatran would be a good fluid to use. I had done some research on Permatran for the Splitter Project - it is almost identical to Hytran --- both are MS1209 and MS1210 compliant so that works.

RBH, I am not sure if he has the TA system or not. Will have to go look at that tractor methinks.

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate a lot.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

midmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65018
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub #11248
1948 #39811 trimmed dash
1950 VAC Case

Postby midmo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 pm

I always used 303 fluid. Sold my tractors back in 86, Skelly oil was all I ever used. Time of the past. I'm sure I have a IT manual if you need me to look anything up.
Ron in Mid Missouri

Goraidh (Jeff)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04236
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub "Jessie"
'64 Cub "Alex"

Postby Goraidh (Jeff) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Rudi, I have a 65 Diesel and the information you've received here is correct. Good luck. Jeff
'49 Cub (#77786) "Jessie"
"64 Farmall Cub (#224657) "Alex"
Woods 42C-6
C-3 mower
Cub 54 Blade
193 Moldboard plow
Cub L-38 disc harrow
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cordwood Saw

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”