This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hitch Mounted Carrier

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hitch Mounted Carrier

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:40 pm

I’ve got one big old snowblower (Toro 826), and two places to clear 10 miles apart. So far only one gets cleared. I’d love to be able to cart the snowblower back and forth. Does anyone have any experience with hitch mounted cargo racks? I've got a Yukon with a Class 3 hitch, which has a tongue weight capacity of 600 lbs.

The typical deer carriers aren't deep enough (I need at least 28 inches deep and those are all 20 inches) and the ones I’ve seen online for wheelchairs and such vary in price from 100-600 dollars, so quality must vary a lot. And the high end is too expensive. Seems like building one would be simple enough: some 2 x 2 x 3/16 angle for a frame, expanded steel for the floor, and 2 inch square tube to run from the hitch underneath the whole thing. Guess you could strap the snowblower to the frame. My concern is that I'd think the platform would rock sideways a lot along the hitch mounted tubing with the bulk and weight (maybe 250 lbs?) of the snowblower on it. Does anyone use anything like this, or built one? I’d appreciate any suggestions or experience doing something like this. Here’s a photo I found on the internet of one somebody built to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks
Attachments
Hitch Carrier 3.jpg
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hitch Mounted Carrier

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Why not use your trailer?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 pm

You've got an excellent memory! That little trailer is not rated for driving on road. I need to pull it with my truck 10 miles each way. I have a larger road trailer, but don't want to be dragging it around, parking, and loading/unloading in the snow.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:37 pm

It should be easy enough to add some stabilizer bars from the carrier to the hitch. An angle iron protruding forward from the carrier and passing just under the hitch crossbar would limit movement.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:05 pm

It wouldn't take much to fab up your own to meet your specifications. If you don't have access to any fab equipment, surely you know someone who could build what you want. If not, sketch up what you want and a local fab shop can make what you want.

I fabed up mine for use behind my cub.

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 pm

I have one that came with a package. I haven't used it much (8' bed) but it did seem pretty stable when I did. I would think you could lash a few hundred pounds to it without difficulty.

Mine looks to be home-made and is pretty rugged. I was thinking of pushing Rick P to make the fast hitch receiver so I could use it on a Cub. I will snag some photos and dimensions if you want.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:34 pm

I have one that started out almost identical to the one in your picture, but over time I made it deeper to take a wider scooter, and yes, it will rock side to side if the load is balanced. The trick is not center the load. My scooter has most of it's weight on one end, and when I haul a friends electric wheel chair I park it on one end. Some of the carriers come with a locking bolt that is supposed to stabilize it, but I have never seen one so don't know what it consists of.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”