Any one mess around with Hit & Miss Engines?

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:27 pm

I have always enjoyed listening to them run. When I was growing up the pump jack on the well down the road was run with one and I can remember going to sleep listening to it at night. I may have an opportunity to pick up a 1 1/2 hp John Deere on a cart this spring. I appears to be in decent shape. Although, I have never heard it run. The previous owner said it was somewhat temperamental and hard to start at times. The gentleman that owns it now tells me he is getting ready to sell it if I want it. However, I can never get a price out of him and I have no idea what to offer for it. Any ideas on what a fair offer might be. I have no idea on what I would do with it if I bought it. Just fire it up and listen to it run I suppose.

Doug

Re: Any one mess around with Hit & Miss Engines?

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:41 pm

I've got a 1929 John Deere Model E 1 1/2 HP on a cart. I wasn't looking for one and found it at a garage sale. It wasn't for sale but after talking to the owner, he sold it to me for $500. The only reason I bought it was a guy at work who's into them said it was worth about $900. I've only started it a couple of times. I don't have much interest in it but figure it will only appreciate in value so I don't have any interest in selling it.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Doug Jeff Silvey may be able to help you with a value.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:29 am

I have several and have bought and sold many others. The John Deere is probably the most popular one. Why? because the name John Deere is well known and the hundreds of other engines have ' never heard of names'. It's a good engine but it's green. The JD's command a high price only because of the popularity. Never figured that one out. $500 would be a good price if it has no major problems but you would still have a common little green engine. IH made hit & miss engines also.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Have a friend with an Ottawa engine on a cart. He is thinking about selling it, but has no idea of value. Any Ideas? It's a running engine, just needs a cosmetic makeover.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Doug sorry I didnt see this post till now. Look things over like to see if the head on the sides has ever been welded. Put water in the hopper to see if it runs out anywhere. 500.00 is a good price JD's have went out of site.
Keep us posted.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi Doug, Those old timers do sound great don't they.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 am

HitNmiss1923 wrote:Hi Doug, Those old timers do sound great don't they.

You bet, I always enjoy hearing them run. Thanks to everyone else for all of the good information. Once the weather clears up and I get a couple of projects out of the way, I will chat with my friend and see what happens (after I talk to banker Bonnie of course).

Doug

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 pm

You may have to wait until Banker Bonny gets her Lo-boy! :lol:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 am

I just had one of my stationary's running yesterday(while I was working :shock: ). I now have
one 6hp M
one 1-1/2hp M
four 1-1/2 hp Fairbanks ZD's

They're like a good campfire. Just pull up a chair and stare at it :{_}:
Here's the quote from the dictionary
–verb (used without object)
1. to gaze fixedly and intently, especially with the eyes wide open.

Yep, that's what you do :lol:

Rick

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Yea Rick they are nice. I have a 3h Cushman Cub, 11/2 h Fairbanks Dishpan.and several Maytags.
Not hit and miss but I do have some old Briggs, Clintons, Iron Horses and others. They are fun.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:53 am

I have
3 HP Gallowy
1.5 Cushman Cub
1.5 - 2.5 INT LA
1.5 Gade
1.5 Delaval
Type Y B&S
Several Maytags
Three Chorematser Garden Tractors
Several Hog Oilers
Other stuff of old iron