This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Compression

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

No Compression

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:36 pm

A few months ago, I put an overhaul kit in my '45 B Farmall; pistons, rings sleeves, etc. Everything was done by the book. I decided today to adjust the valves. I found TDC on the compression stroke on 1 and set the appropriate valves. When I started turning the hand crank with my finger in 4 plug hole, no compression. :shock: I have good compression on 1 and 3 but, there is none on 2 and 4. I have two guesses:

1) The piston rings are not orientated correctly on 2 and 4 pistons, or

2) The piston rings on 2 and 4 are stuck to the pistons.

Either way, I am still going to have to remove the head and pan and push these two pistons out to find the problem :evil:

Any other ideas I might consider :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:41 pm

You might add a little Kroil and see if they free up.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:57 pm

I find it hard to believe that the rings would stick if they were oiled at all during assembly and the engine hasn't been run.

I hate to ask this, because I know you know how to do it. But are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you adjusted the the valves on cylinders 2 and 4 with the engine in the right position? With cylinder 1 up on compression, adjust valves 1, 2, 3 and 5. Rotate 1 full revolution and adjust 4, 6, 7 and 8. (count valves from front of engine).

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:05 pm

C.B.,

I find a problem with valves easier to believe than stuck new rings. I have had valves stick in new guides if they set for a little while.

I'd remove the valve cover and check carefully in there first. Oops... the cover must already be off! Oil the valve stems and work them a bit and then re-check the clearance in the order Jim suggested.

Even if you followed the wrong order it could only result in too much clearance.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:41 pm

"I hate to ask this, because I know you know how to do it. But are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you adjusted the the valves on cylinders 2 and 4 with the engine in the right position? With cylinder 1 up on compression, adjust valves 1, 2, 3 and 5. Rotate 1 full revolution and adjust 4, 6, 7 and 8. (count valves from front of engine"

Jim, I did adjust valves 1, 2, 3, and 5 with 1 on TDC compression stroke. I never could find the compression stroke on 4 to adjust valves 4,6,7, and 8. One full revolution means #4 TDC compression stroke, right :?: :oops:

"I'd remove the valve cover and check carefully in there first. Oops... the cover must already be off! Oil the valve stems and work them a bit and then re-check the clearance in the order Jim suggested."

George, I have lubed the valve stems with MMO. I hope you are right.

I was talking with Russ Leggitt on the phone a moment ago. He said something that got me to thinking. I suspect I might have some rockers on these cylinders holding the vlaves open preventing compression. :roll: I am going to check this and report back. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:56 pm

Well, I am sorry to have bothered all of you but, I just now returned from going out and backing off on the adjustment on valves 4, 6, 7, and 8 and I now have compression. :D :D :D Of course, the MMO could have un-stuck those valves....who knows :?:

Greg Norman

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:34 pm

C.B.,

Glad you found the problem! It sure beats fixing what ain't broke. Quicker too. :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:45 pm

Glad you got to the bottom of it. I usually manage to think of the worst possible situation when something like this comes up too.

And yes, cylinders 1 and 4 are 1/2 way around the firing order from each other, so one full revolution of the crank takes you from TDC on compression of one to the other.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”