This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

WHICH IS BETTER FOR HAY

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ranchruler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44601

WHICH IS BETTER FOR HAY

Postby ranchruler » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:13 pm

hi I was wondering wich tractor would be better for raking,tedding and bailing and stuff in that depertment the almighty FARMALL H or the TRUSTY FORD 8N

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ranchruler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44601

Re: WHICH IS BETTER FOR HAY

Postby ranchruler » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:13 pm

ALSO IS THE h HAND CLUTCH???

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:36 pm

I would go for a more modern tractor if you intend to do much baling. Ford is to light to handle a baler in hills, and the H is a good tractor (I was raised on one), but they are only 25 hp, which is low powered for a baler, plus pto is not live. The only hand clutch is an aftermarket one from M&W so far as I know an d they are rare.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:33 am

The hand clutch will serve as a work-around to not having live power. Unless you are dealing with some steep hills I would think the H would be preferable.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:40 am

The Ford NNA Jubilee is a bigger tractor with more features than the 8N.

Allis Chalmers, WD or WD45, has the hand clutch, foot clutch, live pto, one way hydraulics, easily converted to 3-point. WD = 36 hp and WD 45 = 45 hp. Both weigh between 4000 and 5000 lbs. In this area, central Missouri, they will sell for around $1000- in work ready condition.

Allis Chalmers, John Deere, IH, Minneapolis Moline and other brands manufactured tractors big enough and built to handle balers.

Suggest making a list of the features you want your tractor to have. Make a list of the tasks you want the tractor to perform. Find out which makes of tractors were popular in you area in the late 1950's - 1970' or so.

In this area IH, Allis and Ford were very popular tractor makes and dealership support is still available.
I have an excuse. CRS.

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:16 pm

I wouldn't bail hay with either of them. We bail hay with our Oliver 88 and it grunts pretty good under the bailer.
Is the H a wide front ? If you have hills you are intending to work I'd personally stay away from the narrow fronts....also if you have to cross wet ground all that engine weight is right there.
If the H was a wide front I'd be all over it for using it to rake and ted hay or if my ground was flat or slow rolling and it was a narrow front. Around here you can get an H for 1/3 of the price that you can the numbered Fords and the Jubilees go for even more.
If your looking for a tractor to do it all at an affordable price I'd look into finding a Super M or as Eugene mentioned an Allis Chalmers.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”