This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

MF 1045 CV Joint

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

MF 1045 CV Joint

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:54 am

Does anyone have a suggestion on tracking down a replacement CV joint for a Massy Ferguson 1045? If I am reading the parts catalog correctly, the part number is 3436940M1 which seems to cross to something like 87AC BIRFIELD NTN-EL5. It appears to have been long since discontinued by MF and if a bone yard has one, they generally want to sell the whole front axle assembly for big bucks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: MF 1045 CV Joint

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:52 pm

No doubt you are familiar with the Massey forum at YT? I never owned a Massey. But that joint must have something in common with others.

http://www.ytmag.com/mf/wwwboard1.html
Luck favors those who are prepared

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:36 pm

It is possible that the same manufacturer made the Allis 5020 and 5030 tractors. The horsepower on the Allis models may be lower and parts may not interchange for that reason. The Allis 5040 is a very different tractor, made in Romania.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:44 pm

There were not very many of this model tractor built. Front end components just about have to have been shared with something else. The CV joint itself was probably common to even more applications. Along with a few other tractors, I have heard the CV joint was also used on some Mitsubishi cars. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find which models.

Fortunately for me, I'm not the one trying to fix the tractor. I'm just trying to help another person with some parts leads. I'll pass what I have found back to him. I think my main recommendation is to take the old CV joint to a local driveshaft and CV joint shop and see what they come up with. If the joint isn't available (the way it is looking now), maybe the shop can tell him where that joint was used. Then he'll have enough information to go junk yarding.

Thanks for the comments (both here and by PM).

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:13 pm

A Mitsubishi dealership will not help you. They do not want "customers" talking to the mechanics. Local independent shop is run by the son of one of my elementary schoolmates. He does not mind me walking around the shop and watching the work. I suspect that kind of shop might stumble on the part needed.

I had one of the early Weedeater brand trimmers and a part failed on it form age, not over use. The thing was so old that no parts lists could be found. Fellow with lawn equipment (one man) shop in his backyard said that the part looked similar to one on another brand and in few days he had mine going again. The tractor needs the same touch.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:07 pm

One more suggestion is to Google the word "Toyosha". Perhaps some clue can be found that will lead to the needed parts.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Toyosha made/sold under the Hinomoto name. They now are under the name Hitachi Construction Machinery Tierra. Searches under any of those names seem to produce many people looking for parts and a few gray market operators that almost universally say they don't sell parts any more. Looking at the company's web site, they produce construction machines and barely acknowledge a past involvement with ag machines.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:34 pm

In my area we have some shops that specialize in transmission repair. Some are franchises of chains while others are locally owned. I know a couple of locals that are quite good and honest. A shop like that might look at the failed parts and offer help.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:58 pm

I did some online searches and found one local shop in his area that specializes in axles and CV joints. I refered him to that shop and hope that they can either come up with something or point him in the right direction. He had some other more urgent things to deal with that came up this week. I hope he can get back to the tractor next week and find a solution.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”