This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

pull type bush hog

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08848
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566
Circle of Safety: Y

pull type bush hog

Postby prjones » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:18 pm

Thanks to all that answered my question on Woods Dixie Cutter.Found out manuals are available but you need serial number. Went to woods dealer and he recomended leaving gear box alone but replace grease with Ep 90.
Now I bought a 6 foot pull type bush hog. It is missing half of the driveshaft. The driveshaft from gear box is intact. The tongue measures 39 inches. So I figure I need a 5 foot shaft. I was told this will wobble and will need bearing. Someone else said I need a 3 part shaft. Does anyone have any idea how shaft should be set up? Also will turming put too much stress on universals with shaft of that link?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:24 pm

Do you plan to pull the 6 footer with a cub?

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:48 pm

I do not think that would work. I have a MF 165.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:53 pm

Boy am i glad to hear that. I missed that you were in the other tractors and machinery forum. I have a 6 footer on a JD 1050. I felt foolish when i read your reply. Yet the only stupid question is the one you think of and don't ask.
Alittle foolish is good for me from time to time. It brings me back to earth.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

bush hog

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:18 am

I have an old IH rotary mower (bush hog), pull type. The PTO has a carrier bearing located near the front edge of the mower deck and at the same height as the gear box. The carrier bearing mounts between two bars (braces) that attach to the front of the mower deck. The PTO is one piece from the carrier bearing to the gear box. The front shaft has two parts, one sliding inside the other with the outer end attaching to the tractor's pto shaft. There are three U-joints in this PTO shaft. One at the tractor, one directly in front of the carrier bearing and one at end nearest the gear box.

Turning. Even with the three part PTO shaft I can not make a real tight turn with out binding the PTO shaft.

OH. I have managed to mess up the PTO shaft twice. $150.00 a shot to straighten and repair. First time I had to replace the U-joints and one of the yokes broke - just old age. The second time the drawbar pin fell out - PTO shaft separated - wap - bent that sucker in half.

Ain't farming fun.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:41 am

You really need to figure out exactly what you have, and how it's supposed to be set up. Maybe it has a carrier bearing in the middle... Maybe it doesn't... That's why you ended up with three different, conflicting, pieces of advice.

Carefully look over the mower. Does it look like there was a bracket bolted to it near the front of the mower, or on the tongue, in the past?

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:08 pm

Thanks to all. It is reassuring to know that there are people who take time and enjoy helping . I am begining to think my wife was right, she is yelling that I should have bought new and not mess with old junk. I tried to explain that it is fun to fix up things but I am having my doubts.
There is a H bracket on tongue this must have been for carrier bearing
and I am thinking shaft must have had 3 universals. But I am having trouble picturing this. If anyone has a picture of this set up or similar I would appreciate it.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:30 pm

I don't know what brand this is but it should be similar. The telescoping part of the shaft is behind the carrier on this one.

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:55 pm

Thanks. Telescoping part will be behind carrier on mine to. That is a big help. No safety on this type of shaft I guess.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”