Powder coat

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:44 pm

I just ordered a powder coat gun from Harbor Freight. I'll let everybody know how it comes out.I will start on some small parts.I was thinking of pimping out my IH350.Mirror Red w/White sparkle rims. 8) Oh O I think I here the correct police.............. :wink:

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:04 am

and.......you'll need some black lights and a kickin' sound system :!: :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:38 am

I've never done any powder coating, but my understanding is that for it to work good the item has to be kept at 400 (?) degrees for several minutes. The gun is ok for real small items, but not sufficient for larger items.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:54 am

John. Not sure this process calls for 400 degrees (he'll have to check those particular specs) but not all do. However, it must be super clean free of grease & dirt. Best if washed with degreaser and if possible, blasted shortly prior to coating.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:24 pm

The items will need to be baked, and I believe the temperature is 400 degrees. I've looked at the power coat gun at our local HF store.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:38 pm

I got the paint today.The gun is on back-order...as usual when they go on sale.Have to order them from China. Say with a chinese accent"Your stuff on back-order big boy".I messed with the paint anyway cleaned a piece steel really well ,etched it with some dupont etching solvent.rinsed it.After it was dry I sprinkled some red powder on the piece about the size of a nickel. Put it in the oven.(I have a industrial oven at work) This paint is 450 degrees for 15 minutes. (Ruby red).Well I took it out after the time and put next to the fan to cool. The paint was Hard and shiney.could not scratch it with my fingernail.After 1 hour I put some laquer thinners on it and it would not come off.This stuff looks really good.I will keep you informed when I get the gun and contact other coating companys to match IH colors.I believe other paints have tempertures that range from 250 degrees to 450 degrees.Curing time changes also. I wonder if you can use high heat lamps for big pieces?Ahh more research...........

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:27 pm

Ron L wrote:John. Not sure this process calls for 400 degrees (he'll have to check those particular specs) but not all do. However, it must be super clean free of grease & dirt. Best if washed with degreaser and if possible, blasted shortly prior to coating.

Hey guys. Disregard this statement. I was thinking of "metal spraying" with metal powder & metal spray gun......... :oops:

Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:13 pm

How big of rims do you think you can fit on there? :lol: