This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 100

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04664
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Farmall 100

Postby Vern Campbell » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:48 am

Well, you guys put me on the path to Super A ownership. Now today I got a call from a woman who has a Farmall 100 that was her husband's. She seems to think I need to add it to my garage. I am going to look at it Saturday. I searched for info on the 100 but didn't find a lot. The pictures I found weren't the best, but it looked like an offset like the Cub. What can you all tell me about a 100?

Also any thoughts you may have on explaining to my better half why I need a third tractor would be greatly appreciated. :)
Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:15 am

Vern, the 100 was produced for only 3 years. 54, 55 & 56. That is why you don't find a lot of information on them. I believe it was basically a number series version of the super A. If it is in good condition, it is a good find. You really need it. (tell your wife I said so)

A good reason for 3 tractors is that you will have a referee in case a fight breaks out between 2 of them.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:25 am

Hi Vern. I picked up a 100 last year for a friend. He told me to use it for a couple weeks and check it out. I fell in love with it but my friend wouldn't let me have it. I was mowing in third gear at half throttle. What a beautiful tractor. I have a pic that I'll load in a few minutes.

Looks like I'll need Bigdog to bail me out yet one more time. Thanks again Bigdog.
Last edited by Rick Prentice on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:57 am

The 100 is basically just a Super A1 (think rare Super A with a bigger engine) with a different hood. Very little changed from the Super A1 through the 100, 130, and 140. The 140 was produced the longest, until the late '70s when it was replaced for a short time by the diesel powered 274 Offset, which also appears to be a derivative of the original A, with modern sheet metal. Then IH went belly-up.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:05 am

Pictures courtesy of billyandmillie:

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:46 pm

Thanks guys for all the info, and thanks billyandmillie and BD for the pictures. It does look a lot like the Super A I'm getting, other than the nose looks a little different.

Matt, you said to think Super A with a bigger engine. Is it a completely different engine, or just the Super A engine modified for more hp?

Bigdog, you are a man of great influence. 8) I told Bev I was going to look at another tractor. She looked at me like I was nuts, and told me she thought I should get the one I just bought home first. Then came the question I was waiting for, "Why do you need three tractors?" So I did like you told me. I just said, "Bigdog says I really need it." Then all she said was, "Well, go look at it." I couldn't believe it! :D :D I know Bev is looking forward to meeting you at Cubfest. At Christmas I showed her the pictures of you and your grandson, and the decorated Cub. She loves children and said that anyone who would do that must be a really nice guy.

My only worry now is that what I really want is Cub #2. I better start thinking about how I'll explain a fourth tractor. :D
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:11 pm

For the last year of production, IH made the Super A1 (sooper aaaay wun). It was a Super A with the slightly larger Super C engine, the slightly taller hood, and slightly taller grille. That tractor became the 100.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:05 pm

Here is a Big old pretty picture of a Farmall 100
http://users.vnet.net/jamhudson/pics/Farmall%20140
Young man for work, old man for advice

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:37 pm

Vern:

Not a problem explaining the fourth tractor!

When you and Bev come up to visit this summer, hopefully I will have Jethro fleshed out a bit more. He might be able to provide some incentive for #4.

As you know, New Brunswick and Maine share somewhat similar winters. We also share somewhat similar Power Company infrastructures. Meaning -- getting aged and prone to power outages during major winter snow/ice storms. What better use for #4 than to be a back up generator for house and barns etc. :?: :idea: :!: :idea:

Jethro is basically too far gone to be a real tractor again, so my plan is to restore about 60-75% of him. I plan to then hook up a 8 or 10 kw generator to power my house during power outages, using Jethro as the power plant for the generator. That way we won't be in the dark or cold for some of the extended outages.

Give that one a try and see what happens :!: :!: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:57 am

Jim, that is one pretty tractor. From what the lady told me about this 100, I don't think this one will look that nice--yet. I'm looking at it later today. Thanks for the picture. 8)

Rudi, that's a great idea! :D A few years back we had a major ice storm, and we were without power for 5 days. We were wishing for a generator then, that's for sure. This could definitely be the selling point for #4. Actually, Bev has been very tolerant/supportive about my tractor obsession. We're looking forward to getting up to visit you and Em this summer! :D :D
Vern

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Planter for Super A

Postby Chris Todd » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:34 am

Looking at Jims pic of that nice 140 (as well as Rudis manuals) helped me identify a pile of parts I have in my shop that I acquired last summer. I have that same planter and fertilizer distributor setup which I assume is the 174? The fellow said it came from his father in law in Alabama. Have been sorting it, a lift disc, and some cultivator parts out for the Super A. " Thanks for the Pic Jim!"

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:22 am

Jim,

:? Why does the plague on the 100 say" In Memory of Jim Hudson"? Could this site be haunted?
Always try the easiest thing first.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:58 am

I'm Jim Hudson but there must be another one done gone on. I don't know this Jim are Stan. Picture was made at the 2002 Denton NC Thrasher's Reunion.
http://www.threshers.com/farmpark/seotr_calendar.html
Young man for work, old man for advice

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”