This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Post Hole Digger Auger Bit Problems

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BA_Pitts
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37138

Post Hole Digger Auger Bit Problems

Postby BA_Pitts » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 am

I’m about to buy 60 head of new cattle. So, I’ve got to expand my pasture very quickly. I have to dig several postholes for multiple gates/entryways. I’ve use the Pengo Aggressor auger bits for years, but the bit is wearing down too fast...the dirt is hard due to lack of rain. Anyway, someone told me to switch my dirt auger bit to a rock auger teeth. Has anyone tried this before? Are there any good videos on how to change the auger bit teeth?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Post Hole Digger Auger Bit Problems

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:21 pm

I have never had much experience with the tractor augers, about all the posts I ever put in were done by hand, though it has been several years. i do know that in this area due to the make up of clay and rock they do use special bits if they plan to do much, but I do not know what kind they are.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BA_Pitts
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37138

Postby BA_Pitts » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Once upon time, when my back was strong, I dug postholes the old fashion way too. Now, my tractor and auger digger can do a heck of a lot more work than me.....only if I can keep the dang auger teeth sharp!

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Most of the time around here, my 3 point hitch digger digs very well. If you feed it too fast in the spring when the ground has a lot of moisture in it, the auger will screw itself into the ground. Not good!.........Then you have to take a large pipe wrench with a long pipe for leverage and screw it back out of the ground. On the other hand, when it has been dry for a long time, the auger will not dig at all. Then we dig as deep as we can, pour a bucket of water in the hole and wait a day. Then it digs ok.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby DanR » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:49 am

I'm not familiar with that brand but I do have some knowledge from working with caisson rigs for years. Really only two things control the way an auger digs. First is the cutting edge. The best hardened steel is the most expensive. Simple as that. The second thing is how much pressure is put on the auger. That's the skill of the operator. We used water to lubricate the bits and to polish the sides of the bore. I doubt it did anything to soften the soil. Raise the auger often to shake off the cut soil that makes everything run smoother.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”