This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Putting the toys to work in the woods#

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Re: Putting the toys to work in the woods#

Postby cowboy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:51 am

I've had those days too Dan. Last year in fact. trying to cut off one of the willows that was over the bridge. When I got the first saw stuck I took the power head off the bar. So when I cut the tree off it wouldn't fall on the saw and break it.

I also use a wedge when I am cutting up a tree on the ground. I keep one in my back pocket when I see one that looks like it is going to pinch my bar I just put a wedge in it and give it a good smack with my hand to set it and I can cut through without pinching the bar. Note felling wedges are Plastic! Not metal. Never use metal wedges around chainsaws as it can break the chain as well as wipe out the cutting edge.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Billy,

Did you ever get the steering controls for your skid steer changed over to the type you are used to? Just wondering.

Billy

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Bill It used to be simple to get an answer to your question but the internet has become so item specific it is a bear to find this type answer. Remembering the sunk Deck scows my grand father had raised and the loads of sand and gravel they had carried I would use 4 10 x 10 with 3 or 4 inch decking. That would be with a 2 toot overhang a 10 x 10 then a 2 foot span and another 10 x 10 another 2 foot span another 10 x10 and another 2 foot span and then a 4th 10 x10 and another 2 foot overhang. this gives a 13 foot 2 deck. By the time you add 8 x 8 rub rails and a couple of inches from the rub rails to the end of decking you have a usable 11 or 12 feet of road way which will permit a safe passage with no go crazy lining up to the bridge with heavy loads for the 130 can't weigh more than 3000 lbs plus what ever you are carrying or towing

Lets see what the engineers come up with but that is my seat of the pants it should last a while with out store bought pressure treated yellow pine. Of course you should treat it before using if possible.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 am

Hi Billy

I checked with the dealer and he said he hadn't heard of a change over kit for it but would check into it for me but I when I went back to pick up parts he was off. So I am just running it as it is for now.

Howdy Bill

Thanks. I kinda feel that it would handle the load too. But it would be nice to know what it should support as strength drops quickly as the span is increased. I saw some cu-cupo paint at Ace the other day and I was thinking of getting that and painting the structure with that before I paint it white. I am also planning on putting rubber roofing between the decking and beams to keep moisture from sitting on top of the beams.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:15 pm

These are the type of Stihl wedges I use for splitting and felling. Very good quality and I get a lot of use out of them. I carry at least 2 of the different sizes with me (only two sizes available so far). I am hoping Stihl provides a bit more variety.

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Bill I looked at the pictures again. I forgot that you had hand rails on the deck bridge. Mount them out board of the rub rails such that hubs, fenders and adjustable axles wont hit the handrail uprights
. You didn't have them on the original but i feel they are important.

Bi8ll
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:20 am

Hi Rudi

I mainly use the sthil wedges my self. I mostly use the small ones and will sometime stack two together. But other places make more sizes and tapers and I have a few different ones.

Thanks Bill

I had not even thought of putting rub rails on it. But it sounds like a great idea.

I got my lumber off the trailer yesterday

Right now there is about 5" between the beams. But there will be 12" when I put it up.

This should be all the lumber I need to build the bridge.

I think I am going to be able to drive my new pickup over it!

I got me a Rabbit!!!!!
VW diesel Rabbit Pickup that is. Good by uncomfortable tire eating focus.
My nephew always leaves some cloths at the farm when he is up. So I dropped his stuff off at Sis's house and on the way to my house my brother spotted it for sale. Going to get plates and ins today! I think I may just drop a new engine in it as it has 279,000 miles on it.

I am really sorry to hear that cubtug is canceled this year. At 45 mpg I could afford to scoot right down there.

Billy

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Billy:

Now that is some nice stock. Gonna be a nice bridge. Post pics as you progress ok... I am really interested in how you do this.

I like the Rabbit pickmeup :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks Rudi

I was going to make concrete footers for it to sit on. But I think my best friend has me talked into just putting in on railroad ties and tying it down. As he said it doesn't matter rides up and down on the frost as long as it does not sink into the ground. Other than that its just placing the beams squaring them up and screwing the deck down and putting up hand rails.

I think that little truck will work out a lot better than the focus I have been driving has been. A lot better fuel mileage and I can haul more. I have been reading into it more and if I advance the injector pump 3 deg I can get 550 to 60 mpg out of it. Its going to have to be bore out and new pistons and injectors and I may try to find a 5 speed for it. But it seems to be right handy. I don't know why they don't make something like that today.

Billy

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:34 pm

Bill Pickups got to be monsters to get them out of the manufacturers gas millage bag. if a vehicle has a max gross of over 6000 lb it don't count. My 2003 !500 gets 20 MPG with a stick when i really try. My 79 C10 (both 1/2 to pickups) got 32 highway with a load on. Thank you tree huggers.
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:32 am

I hare that Bill.

My 93 Ford Superduty dumptruck 15,000 gvw weighs 8900lbs empty and can leagley haul 6100 lbs in the box. My 99 F-250 weighs 7440 with a 1/2 tank of fuel and I can only put 1360 lbs in the box. Of course both will haul twice that.

Billy

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:28 am

Cowboy, nice find on the VW pickup! I still miss mine. Had it for 23 years and 117k miles. With 14" GTI/Jetta wheels it drove lile a race car, but worked like a truck. I had the F/I engine. 80 mph in third gear, and 36 mpg highway 17/20 city as I had a heavy right foot, LOL. Put a ton in the back and still legal with a 4000# tag. Pulled a tandem with 2700# pounds hanging on the ball, this thing did not know when to quit. I too wonder why they don't inport them from S.Africa, I still think they are still made there. Need to find pix and post. Best thing, low loading height, especially when hauling 8 ' x 15" concrete pipe.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks Dan

You sure got some work done with yours :{_}: I am definitely going to need a different trans for mine. It redlines the engine at 66 mph. Still a little sleepy got in from 1 1/2 weeks at the farm last nite. Got some deer feed plots put in and the sugar beets cultivated. My brother brought up his jetski and we spent most every afternoon on lake Huron. We are seriously thinking of getting a boston whaler 17' to 21' if we can find a deal on one. I'm not really a jetski type person. But it was great to get out on the water after a hot day working. And with all the rock out there I really like the idea of a boat that you can cut in half and still not sink.

Billy

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”