Radiator Problem with Miss B.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:07 pm

I purchased a radiator from a Farmall A several months ago to put on my '45 B Farmall. They look exactly the same but, when I go to mount it, the upper water pipe does not line up with the outlet on the top of the radiator. Do these radiators not interchange :?:

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:46 pm

How far off are they? Could it be that you got a radiator off a Super A with a water pump or something like that?

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:01 pm

Take it to your locla radiator shop, they can move it wherever you need it.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:16 pm

A and B radiators are identical. That said, they aren't all identical. The early tractors had hoods held on with 1/4 turn fasteners. Later ones were held with a spring loaded clamp handle at each corner. These 2 styles used different radiators. The Super A used the same radiator as the late A and B. Excpet maybe a late Super A with a water pump.

Is the misalignment just some forward/backward misalignment? Is it too far back or forward relative to the water outlet? Check the radiator brace that bolts at the water outlet. It might be bent or from a different radiator.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:27 pm

The radiator brace is from my tractor. I still have the radiator that came off Miss B. The brace works fine when I mount it to Miss B's radiator and put it on the tractor. When I move the brace to the A radiator, it pushes the top out of aligment. With that said, I took Miss B's radiator to the shop today to see if it is usuable. If so, this A radiator is going on Ebay.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:02 pm

I went to the radiator shop this morning and got some good news. Miss B's radiator is in good enough shape to use. :D Dad sprayed a light coat of black paint on it after cleaning it up and I'll put it on the tractor tonight after work. 8)

Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:54 pm

Thats good news. Its always nice when you can reuse the original stuff, especially a radiator. They can be a bit pricey.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:22 pm

Glad to hear it.