This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The 5 second rule doesn't count when...

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

The 5 second rule doesn't count when...

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:47 am

you are ready to remount a front tire (on my Shaw) and accidentally tip over the margarine tub that has the freshly greased axle bearing in it. It doesn't matter which side is up when it lands in the dirt. :( The good thing is that it has split front rims, and it was real easy to repair the leak in the inner tube.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Re: The 5 second rule doesn't count when...

Postby VinceD » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:23 pm

:( for the bearing
:D for the flat
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:58 pm

That rule applies to Ed and donuts though :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Boss Hog wrote:That rule applies to Ed and donuts though :D
I thought it was the 5 day rule then. :headbang
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: I.H. 300 Utility

Postby JoeKansas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 pm

1965 (Medium).JPG

Bob McCarty wrote:.....ready to remount a front tire (on my Shaw) and accidentally tip over the margarine tub that has the freshly greased axle bearing in it. Bob

Is this the kind of Shaw you're referring to? This is a picture of one setting on the factory floor up there in Galesburg Ks.

I worked in that building when it was still Bush Hog, and after it had been closed down and another company bought the place I worked in it again. They used it til last year."

Every now and then (early 1990's) the new company that's was in there'd still get telephone calls from people wanting to know if parts were available for DuAll tractors and such!

When Bush Hog went out of business there, they had a big auction. I bought 4 n.o.s. transmissions that fit on the pictured tractors. I kept them for years and finally junked all but one....the guy across the street wanted it to use for some project.

You should have seen this big punch press in that building. About 2 stories tall above the floor and about 6 foot of the base was in a pit below floor level. Brought in in pieces on railroad flatcars.

You know what a "stump jumper" on a brush cutter is, right? They'd stomp stump jumpers out of 3/8" steel by the ton on that big press- in 1 stroke. 2 guys would throw a big 4 foot square sheet of 3/8" thick steel onto the die, get their hands out of the way, hit the button, and "WHAM"- it would stomp out a round, dish shape and punch all 3 holes in 1 stroke of the press. It was impressive to watch it work.

They also formed grader blades (like your average 3 point grader for your tractors) on that press out of the same thick steel. It didn't sell in the auction, and when the new biz went in there years later, it went to scrap....it was so big, no one would pay to buy it and pay the shipping on it....

When I worked for BH, I started out welding on their big disc cultivator frames, and after they figured out I was not your average mindless welding robot (like half the other dopeheads in that department)- I got drafted to work in the machine shop- first running a turret lathe, then on to bigger and better stuff.

Everything in there was ancient- machinery wise.... In earlier times Shaw made single cylinder engines (similar to Harley Davidson singles) that were used to motorize bicycles...

I have a friend who has 3 or 4 of those.....
Last edited by JoeKansas on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Image Mine is an N8 and looks similar to this picture from YTMAG.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: I.H. 300 Utility

Postby JoeKansas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Years after the factory went out of business- the few remaining elderly Shaw family members finally died off.

You should have been to that auction....a treasure trove. There were salesman samples of the implements they sold for their tractors- still encased in the original wooden crates they shipped them in. It was like a time capsule.

There was an original Harley Davidson single cylinder engine- that I suspect they used as a pattern to copy their version of the engine from.

Lots of advertising memorabilia- lots of replacement parts for the equipment they sold....and all this stuff was in the garage of the house the old folks lived in. All those years since they even sold that kinda stuff- these folks never threw anything away.

There wasn't much actual collectability to Shaw stuff then, or I'd have bought a lot of it.... oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

What I did buy were a pair of steam whistles that came out of the factory. Those and some engravings that are used in the printing of advertising images on old printing presses. One shows a man riding on some sort of Shaw equipment...can't recall exactly what it was, though....

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”