This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rock Bucket

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Rock Bucket

Postby cowboy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I knew I had a problem with rocks on site 1 deer food plot. It was late but we wanted to combine the rye off the field first and see if our old early 60's Oliver combine would work. It wasn't real thick but we got 3/4 bag of rye off of it.

My brother Tommy operating.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 3409949147

There were way too many rocks in it to be able to plow, disk or rotill it. So had to use a set of brillion spring tooth harrows on it. I'm surprised I didn't break them. It was bringing my 65 hp Massey tractor to a complicate stop and I was having to lift them move forward a few feet and drop them again.

Since I knew I wasn't going to pick them by hand I bought a 66" wildkat rock bucket with teeth for the skid steer. It has a vertical 3/8 steel plate every three inches so it collects the 3" and bigger rocks and lets the dirt fall out. One part I messed up on is that I should have worked up the ground a few times over a month or two. All the plant stems really plugged it up and wouldn't let the dirt fall out.

Technique wise I am still trying to figure out the best way. I found out real quick filling the bucket and trying to shake the dirt out doesn't work real well. The best way I have found so far it to push forward a foot or so until I have a pile of dirt and rocks at the end of the bucket and roll it back hard. The rocks will fly to the back of the bucket and most of the dirt will fall out. Also trying to get the bucket more than 1/3 full just takes way too much work. The dirt sits on top of the rocks and doesn't fall out very well. With the technique I have so far it definitely works better with a hydrostatic machine. It would be a whole lot more work if I had to clutch and shift. As well as a lot of wear and tear on a clutch.

I am really glad I got the teeth on the bucket. It really helps pry up the rocks. And it penetrates rocky piles better than my Case W14 wheel loader that weights 10000 lbs more that the skid steer.

Out of this little area.

I got this pile of rocks. It doesn't look too big but its a good 6' high.

Once I got the bigger area worked up. I found it was a lot faster to use the dump truck so I didn't have to travel as far with my 1/3 bucket load of rocks. All together I spend three long days working up the ground and picking the rocks. I got 7, 1/2 dump truck loads of of rock out of the bigger area and dumped them in the gravel pit. But forgot to take a picture of it. The old blue truck is so tall I couldn't dump the bucket when I got much more than a 1/2 load in the truck.

It was amazing to me the size of the rocks the spring tooth's pulled up.

But finally on the 14th I had all my brassicas in and waiting on rain. The only thing I didn't do was fertilize. I didn't want to try to mix it in and bring up more rocks. Hopefully I can be up just before a good rain so I can spread it and have the rain soak it in. But I think its looking pretty good.

And the reason for all the work?

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rock Bucket

Postby VinceD » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Great pictures and you did a great job. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Bill it looks great!
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Billy, can you put a hydraulic or electric vibarator on it like on a dump truck?
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:12 am

A lot of work to feed deer. My way is easier. Looked out the window this morning and two were in the lawn eating grass. They then wandered into the neighbors bean field for some protien. He did all the work except mow my lawn. Both were beginning to grow antlers. Vern

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks Vince

I was a dirty puppy those three days. I was covered in dirt and dust. Once I started filling the dump truck I had to get safety glasses to keep it out of my eyes.

Thanks Bill

I'm pretty happy with it. I'll have to go over it again next year. The first little area I worked up rocked it worked it up again and re rocked. I ended up lowering the whole area about 14" The larger area of the field I just went over once as I was running out of time. But all the rock I pull out will come in handy when I start building a trail to my uncles through a swampy area.

Thanks Dan

Thats a great idea :{_}: I didn't like rocking the bucket against the stops. That should make it a lot easier on me and my machine.

Howdy Vern

Where I am at is all woods. Every field and trail I had to put in. My driveway goes across 1/4 mile of my Uncle's property just to get to ours. When my Dad and brother got the last 80 that adjoins my 40. My brother was wondering why we got it as we would never be able to get up there and use it. But 6 years of hard work and its starting to look like something. That field has so many rocks sticking up I was beating my mower to death. Plus I just like watching it grow and the deer eating it.

This is what it looked like two years ago when I started making the field.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:33 am

Is that who I think it is standing on the trail?
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Yep Bill thats Dad

Billy

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Billy:

I really like your toys :big smile:

I is envious. I don't have access to my toy box anymore as the big project is essentially all done. I miss the dozer and the loader. I am actually looking for a TD-7/8 or a gas equivalent so I can play.

You really have done a nice job up in the UP and I am sure your Dad would be real proud of all that you have accomplished .. keeping on the family project. Well done. I am sure he is watching (+)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:46 am

Thanks Rudi

I can't wait to get to the farm and do some more playing :{_}: I got to run a old TD-7 last year and I really liked it. I hope you find one :||):

I really miss Dad and wish he was here to see what we have been up to.

Billy

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 am

Thought that was him. I enjoyed meeting your dad.
I almost posted about you better plan on doing a rock job again next year too for they seem to grow new ones over the winter with frost heave and all. I figured you would figure it out your self and sure enough you did.
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Billy,
I have been following your post the last few years as you have been working on the property and it has progressed along very nicely. You should be proud of all the hard work and the results. I'm sure your Dad is watching and saying thats my boy!
Put those rocks to work and use them like Arizona Mike did make walls out of them :D I know its easy to say when your sitting around reading the forum and giving advice :mrgreen:
It really looks good and I'm sure it will keep on moving in that direction under your care.

Ron
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:32 am

Bill

What I plan on doing next year is ripping it up with the dozer down to 18" putting the dirt in windrows. Then sifting it through the rock bucket. Hopefully I'll have the dozer fixed by then.

Howdy Ron

Its great to hear from you again. I am planing on using the rock on a trail between me and my uncles. Its a 1/8 mile of bad news though a cedar swamp. I don't know how we can have a swamp on the side of a hill. But its always wet and muddy through there.

Billy

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:03 am

Billy, you sure do keep busy up there and it is obvious it pays off. It looks great as always.

I just have one question, Are you growing hats in that field? :lol:

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 am

Barnyard wrote:Billy, you sure do keep busy up there and it is obvious it pays off. It looks great as always.

I just have one question, Are you growing hats in that field? :lol:

Or perhaps he is plowing up some that have been previously planted. :lol: :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”