This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dragging behind a Disk Harrow

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Dragging behind a Disk Harrow

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Just about each year at this time, I renovate either a pasture or hay field. If I am lucky, I try to start disking just after a rain. The fairly hard turf land seems to work better with a lot of moisture. After disking it two or three times without a drag (or until I get tired of disking), I then disk and drag it to smooth out the soil. By the way this year my neighbor let me borrow his 383 Massey and an 8 foot Tuffline wheel disk. Nice setup!

I have used mostly for a drag a medium size utility pole. This year the neighbor's came with a 10 foot heavy duty angle iron as a drag. I have never been satified with either method as a drag. I can never get it as smooth as I would like. The grass clumps that are turned up never seem to go back down in the ground.

What are some of the drags that you use to smooth behind a disk harrow? I know that soil condition and type surely make a difference. When I was growing up, my dad and g'father made a flat bottom drag from sawmill oak. It was as wide as it needed to be and 3-4' deep with the front board turned up at a 45 deg. angle. As I recall, it did a great job.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jwl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52738

Re: Dragging behind a Disk Harrow

Postby jwl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:07 am

A piece of good chain link fence, not that junk they sell at Menard's, with a plank on top at the front and back works pretty nice.

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 am

I have a piece of 4" steel pipe with a 5 foot section of railroad iron bolted to it for wieght. It does an excellent job.
"I ain't believing this!"

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:35 am

We used to use just a regular spring tooth drag but it had been plowed before disk and drag so clumps would not be as big a problem This was done generaly when turning under an old hay sod. The spring tooth was set shallow. It's intent was to smooth the soil not bury weeds. Vern

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”