This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'56-'57 Bolens Deluxe Ride-A-Matic

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

'56-'57 Bolens Deluxe Ride-A-Matic

Postby Former Member » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:45 am

I received the ride-a-matic I purchased out of MI the other day. Thanks Karl, and a big thanks to your BIL? (forgot his name (mr Woody)) for the cub express.

It is in perfect shape for what I wanted- a toy to ride on at tractor shows. :big afro:

It has a Kohler K-160 7 hp. I filed the points and have great spark. Cleaned the carb, and it will fire, but have not gotten it running yet.

It has a Carter #1 carb. I made a bowl gasket, but really need a new one. Can anyone point me to where to start with the adjustments?

Thanks
Dale
Attachments
bolens.jpg
bolens.jpg (6.69 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
Last edited by Former Member on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: '56-'57 Bolens Deluxe Ride-A-Matic

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:34 pm

In a topic below, Wisconsin Engine, is a link to a garden tractor web site. On the site are down loadable manuals for Kohler engines.

If the adjustments asked for is the carburetor. Try 1 to 1/4 turns out on both needle valves to start with. Once engine starts you can fine tune. CRS. Manuals not on hand. I think the low speed idle jet is 3/4 turn out and the main jet is about 1 1/2 turn out.

Kohler parts, auto parts store. Single gaskets can be purchased including carburetor gaskets.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:17 am

I have a wizard version of the round hood ride o matic, kohler k90 engine. Missing the clutch disc so it is just sitting for now.
The K160 and K161 had a bendix magneto on the flywheel, prone to cracking of the plastic coil. Your's may have been replaced over the years. If so then that is a good thing. I would check the valves and other than that not much to go wrong. If it is the carb I am thinking of, there is a welch plug that covers part of the idle circuit, make sure it has not fallen out. Does it run with starting fluid?

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:27 am

Landreo wrote:Does it run with starting fluid?

I just got a can last night to try (carb and choke cleaner). On the list for this morning.

Had the head off and valves looked great.

I am getting a hot blue spark, so with proper air/fuel mixture, it should start and run.

Landreo wrote: Missing the clutch disc so it is just sitting for now.

That clutch system with varying speed control is wild. I bet the clutch disc is one expensive puppy, IF you can find one.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm

After playing with it some more today, and adding 2+2 together, I believe it is lack of compression. With the starter engaged, I can hold my thumb over the plug hole.

Also, I noted that there is a lot of old oil grime and dirt everywhere. The fins on the jug were full of it, and when I pulled the head, it looked as though oil had been seeping under it. For a long time. I think I will stufy up on it and see about replacing the rings, as that is the only place oil on the head could come from. I will also double check the valves and timing while i have it off the tractor.

fun fun fun.

jwl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52738

Postby jwl » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:37 am

Landreo wrote:I have a wizard version of the round hood ride o matic, kohler k90 engine.

i have a walk-behind version of the 12bb model, would like to see some pictures of your rider.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 am

Dale Shaw wrote:
Landreo wrote:Does it run with starting fluid?

I just got a can last night to try (carb and choke cleaner). On the list for this morning.

Had the head off and valves looked great.

I am getting a hot blue spark, so with proper air/fuel mixture, it should start and run.

Landreo wrote: Missing the clutch disc so it is just sitting for now.

That clutch system with varying speed control is wild. I bet the clutch disc is one expensive puppy, IF you can find one.
choke and carb cleaner is flammable, but does not work well as starting fluid for engines. It doe work well as starting fluid on your hair if you are smoking when using it though. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:31 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:choke and carb cleaner is flammable, but does not work well as starting fluid for engines. It doe work well as starting fluid on your hair if you are smoking when using it though

I try to stay away from starting fluid. It can be a bit harsh on small engines :big smirk: :big smirk: I have had to replace a couple.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Dale:

Very nice Bolens. I kinda like em. My buddy Marc collects them although I don't think he has that particular model. My buddy in Dale McKay has that one though. I know I have the Parts Lists in my files but not sure about the Owner's Manual. I think I have the service manual as well.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Cool rudi.

It is on the back burner for right now. Dealing with the end of Cub season and winter prep. I have the motor off and in my truck, the rest of the tractor is all there and filthy greasy.

I plan to tear it down to clean it, and to shim, replace bushings and basically tighten it up. I will replace the rear ags with cub front wheels, or perhaps i can find some soft atv balloon tires for the rear. I am planning to just clean it, fix the engine and take it to shows to ride on, rather than a golf cart (except where prohibited.)

Not going to put any paint on it for now. I would like to find a new hood for it. it looks good, but the vibrations have broken the front bolt holes out, and it is being held on with washers,.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 pm

A washer could likely be welded in to repair those hood holes.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”