This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

McCormick Baler

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

McCormick Baler

Postby Barnyard » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:22 pm

How big of a tractor is needed to run a McCormick 45 baler. Would my H handle one?

Also, what could be wrong with one that is not tying the bales tight? Is there an adjustment to the knotter?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Re: McCormick Baler

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:21 am

If you have flat ground, and are not pulling a wagon, a Super "C" will pull it. Your "H" should be fine.
If by tight bales, you mean not heavy enough, there are two screw levers on the bale chamber that regulate tighness/weight.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 am

Bill, we pulled a "45" with our "H", it did ok, other than not having live PTO. You'll have to explain the tying problem but yes, there are knotter adjustments that are pretty touchy, as I recall. I don't have any experience adjusting them but I remember Dad fussing with them.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:39 am

I know there is an adjustment on them,must have been hard to do as there was always some cussing involved
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:21 am

Bill, Never pulled an IH with a H but have baled under many different conditions with a JD14T. All that hills meant was a lower gear which did not then feed as fast as the baler would take it but it is still doable. We always pulled a wagon unless who we were baling for wanted it dropped instead of paying the cost to put it in the barn. Quite frankly I prefered the M but when it was busy the H got the job without second thought. Live power was nice but there are other things too. I was baling for my uncle one time using his Co-Op E5 (it is a Cockshut but I don't know their number) which had live power and lots of it but was so clumsy that the next day I put the M on it. I'll have to going into hiding for saying this on this forum but the best tractor I ever used for baling was a JD 720. We also pulled a big OLD Case with the H but it had its own engine. Vern

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:47 am

Bill try this with the knotters. The 45 I believe has what is known as a pull off knotter. The bill hooks face the rear of the baler and the knots are pulled off by the hay being fed into the bale chamber. Most knotters do not need much adjustment once they are set. My suggestion. Remove the knives that cut the twine and sharpen them. On this style knotter they had to be very sharp or the knots would not pull off. Lubricate all moving parts with a good penetrating oil. Kroil. If needed call me and we'll talk about it. I have a McCormick T24 and they use the style of knotters that have a wiper arm to take the knots off the bill hook. I freed up the knotters and used a can of Kroil after I got it and baled over 1000 bales with out missing a knot.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks guys. I haven't bought this yet. It is about three hours away and haven't decided if I want to make a road trip. I was just curious if it would work. It would mostly just sit around behind the H and only be used about twice a year to bale about an acre to keep it loose.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:19 pm

Hate to say this, BUT we had 6 of the cussed things and junked every one!!!---we heard that they would never tie right from the factory, and mustave been true since we paid from 5.00 to 15.00 for each one of them!---We finally ended up with a New-Holland 66 and it did a great job for all the rest of our small bale days!---we went to 6x6 rounds at the tail end of our cow raising days! thanks; sonny

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:21 am

Cyrus McCormick and August Claas (company I work for) perfected the knotter that Claas continues to use. Not being familiar with the 45, I am very familiar with the offshoot of the original that Mr Claas patented. (for many years I served as service trainer on the small square balers) I would be glad to have a look if you decide to bring her home, Bill.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks Stan, I think I will pass on it for now.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”