This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Really tall Cub

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.
Circle of Safety: Y

Really tall Cub

Postby Redcub » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:46 am

Any pics out there of any IH products used to top sweet corn? Looks kind of like this...

Checkout the final drives!

(Edit 1/1/2013) Thanks to Steve for the other side of the Cub

I'd like to see whats out there and just how crazy of a mod that you have seen during your travels.
The more weird, the better. ( weirder than "Samson" of course ) :wink:
We have seen twin Cubs, narrowed Cubs, Cubs with full fenders, Cadets that looks like cubs, Cub crawlers(kind of/sort of/but not really), Cub Supers for export, narrow tri-cycle wheeled Cubs,
Isn't there a Cub fire tractor out there?

Is that a Cub grill or a "A" grill on the crawler?

(Edit 1/1/2013) Thanks to Raymond for this one:

(Edit 1/1/2013 Thanks to Buzzard Wing for the Cub forklift:

(Edit 1/1/2013) And for the Nursery Cub:
Last edited by Redcub on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Re: Really tall Cub

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:57 am

A or SA
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:20 am

Not exactly on your subject but the seed corn companies grow a lot of corn about 25 miles south of here but their equipment seems to be custom made. They top 5 rows (or so) and leave the sixth one for the pollinator. High school kids go thru and cut any tops missed. Just a few years back it was all cut by hand. A lot of the kids didn't make the second day. After pollination the sixth row is destroyed. Vern

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks Boss. It sure was a head-turner to see that crawler.

Thanks Vern. Yeah, they are alll homemade here also. Wondering why the sixth row is left, and not all the rows left and then top all later after the pollination? I'd think that would give max pollination. We top all of it here so more energy is put in to the kernals. But thats for sweet corn and not "field" corn that is being used for seed or cattle feed. Thanks. Corn growers, please chime in if you know.
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am

Redcub wrote: Wondering why the sixth row is left, and not all the rows left and then top all later after the pollination? I'd think that would give max pollination.

They are propably producing hybrid seed and the 6th row is a different variety.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 am

Jim is right on the money. Hybrid corn is produced be selecting male and female parents to produce the hybrid seed. Detasseling is done to the female parent so that it will not self pollinate, thereby ruining the hybrid cross. The male parent is left with tassel to pollinate the detasseled females. Once pollination is over, the male rows are destroyed, because they self pollinated and the seed produced from that self pollination is not desirable for sale.

For clarification, the corn plant has both male and female parts and can self pollinate. Tassel = Male. Silk (long hairy stuff on your ears of sweet corn) = Female.

Hope this helps.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Redcub » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:31 pm

Yes that helps. Thanks. Nobody grows seed out here that I know of. It's just for eating. All the seed comes East of here.
BTW, I'm still waiting for Dad to have that "special talk" with me. Now I can tell him, "Dad, I need 5 more wives if you ever want grandkids"
"Steam and Gasoline"

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:42 pm

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:52 pm

P.A. Letourneau had a pic of a corn de-tasseling Cub toward the end of his book. Interesting pic.

Farmall Cub: Photo Archive
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 am

Yes, hybrid seed corn production was what I was refering to. There are thousands of acres being grown. Constanine refers to itself as the seed corn capital of the world with 20 percent grown in the area. Sweet corn is also grown although I don't know if any is grown for seed. I have seen truckloads on the highway headed for the cannery but don't know anything about its growing. Vern

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:01 am

Don't think I could drive that rig across my yard, this is hill country and it would be doing it's impression of a hen house cub and laying on it's side.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Back in the early 70's in the lumber yard i drove a strattle truck that moved lumber on special skids. This was back when we still used the railroad to move lumber.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Redcub wrote:Image
Just what would be the purpose of having a sickle mower pulley attached to this?

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Scrivet wrote:
Redcub wrote:Image
Just what would be the purpose of having a sickle mower pulley attached to this?

Just to make people ask questions like - what is hanging on the rockshaft? :big give up:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:13 pm

Vern:

Looks like a Cub-144 Cultivator rear lift rod.

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”