This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall M--4 Position Light Switch?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall M--4 Position Light Switch?

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue May 03, 2005 11:17 pm

I have to wait a few days for some Cub parts so decided to get the old M tractor moving. Rebuilt generator, starter, new homemade (temporary) wiring harness. New Rochester Amp. Gauge and new starter button. Cleaned battery connection. Put on a new Optima 6 volt---started right up on first try. Now the problem.

The decal on the gauge box says ODB (3 position) but from the OFF I get 123 clicks--makes it a 4 positon switch. Followed Robert Melville's wiring diagram so I believe it is wired right. Amp gauge showed no movement or very little in either the first or second position. So I followed an earlier posting a jump wired from generator F to the cutout mount screw. Amp gauge showed charge 6 volts more or less. I haven't ran the wires from the switch to the lights yet but don't believe this would have made a difference.

First---Is this a 4 position switch as I understand it to be or am I in left field and if it is why would it not register charging on the amp gauge until I grounded the gen. F field to the cutout mount which I understand creates a high charge rate. Sorry the posting is so long.
Gene Chestnutt

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed May 04, 2005 9:18 am

Gene, It is a 4 position switch. In the first (L) position the switch should ground the field terminal through a resistor. In the second (H) position, it should ground the field directly. This is apparently not happening. I would check the ground connections closely.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Grounding

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Wed May 04, 2005 9:25 am

Thanks BD
I was searching old posts and was coming to that conclusion myself especially since when I ground the gen F to the cutout mount screw I show a good high charge on the amp gauge. I am going to take the light switch off and clean all connections and the control box it is mounted in. It looks like a good switch but just isn't working right now.l
Gene Chestnutt

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”