Farmall Super A Cracked Block?

Sun May 08, 2005 7:36 pm

A neighbor of mine has a Super A that has been sitting all winter in an unheated shed. He is uncertian if the cooling system was full of water or anti freeze. When he refilled the radiator water leaked at fairly high rate from the clutch inspection hole. I assumed this was due to a freeze cracked block. Am I missing something?

Is a Super A prone to freeze cracking at the rear of the engine in the bell housing area or is there a freeze plug similar to an automotive engine that has failed?

Jim

Sun May 08, 2005 7:49 pm

If it was full of antifreeze, it should still be. So that isn't a good sign.

On the other hand, freeze cracks on the block are usually on the left side in the upper half of the block. The cracks uaually start near the front. Water leaking out of the bell housing is usually a leaking freeze plug. You have to split the tractor and pull the flywheel to get at it.

Mon May 09, 2005 8:20 pm

I'm not too familar with a Suoer A, but isn't there a freeze plug that may be rusted out on the back of the engine?

Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:47 pm

Tjhere are two freeze plugs on the back of super A. One is on the right for the camshaft and one on the left for the water jacket. The collant one will rust out and leak. Unfortunately the flywheel has to come off to get to it.