This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Super A Cracked Block?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JimSwann
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall Super A Cracked Block?

Postby JimSwann » Sun May 08, 2005 7:36 pm

A neighbor of mine has a Super A that has been sitting all winter in an unheated shed. He is uncertian if the cooling system was full of water or anti freeze. When he refilled the radiator water leaked at fairly high rate from the clutch inspection hole. I assumed this was due to a freeze cracked block. Am I missing something?

Is a Super A prone to freeze cracking at the rear of the engine in the bell housing area or is there a freeze plug similar to an automotive engine that has failed?

Jim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 08, 2005 7:49 pm

If it was full of antifreeze, it should still be. So that isn't a good sign.

On the other hand, freeze cracks on the block are usually on the left side in the upper half of the block. The cracks uaually start near the front. Water leaking out of the bell housing is usually a leaking freeze plug. You have to split the tractor and pull the flywheel to get at it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 09, 2005 8:20 pm

I'm not too familar with a Suoer A, but isn't there a freeze plug that may be rusted out on the back of the engine?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:47 pm

Tjhere are two freeze plugs on the back of super A. One is on the right for the camshaft and one on the left for the water jacket. The collant one will rust out and leak. Unfortunately the flywheel has to come off to get to it.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”