This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Getting the Garden Ready

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Getting the Garden Ready

Postby WKPoor » Sat May 14, 2005 10:08 pm

Bigdoggy came over the other day and helped me get the plow ready and give some pointers. Next came the tillin. Tiller worked great. Even though I've had it for 3or4 yrs this was the first time for the H.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun May 15, 2005 7:52 am

WKPoor,
Years ago I had an H but not with 3 point hitch. I don't remember how slow the low gear was on mine. Is it slow enough? I have tiller now with my Ford and it works great, but I feel I have to make 2 passes because the tractor just doesn't go slow enough. Just curious.
Larry

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun May 15, 2005 10:11 am

Seems most of the antique tractors have an issue with gearing for modern needs. However it is my opinion that the farmalls have slower first gears than other brands. My 2N was much faster in first than this H. I am going to put in a set of slow gears sometime in the future which will make it better for the tiller. For now its acceptable provided the ground is plowed first. I went over it 3 times just because I was trying to level out some spots. Actually the 1st time over made it soft enough to sink over your shoes. Breaks the ground much faster than a walk behind tiller. What model Ford do you have?

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun May 15, 2005 7:22 pm

WKPoor,
I have a Ford 800 with a 5 speed, but low gear is still too fast. I bottom plow the garden before tilling, also. That clay is really hard to break up even when it's done at the optimum time. I have a 9N with a 3 speed, way too fast and not enough HP to run my tiller. It would be nice to get a newer tractor with a hi/lo transmission but I don't have the money for it. Besides, my Ford still serves me well. I've had it for 28 years and haven't had any reason to complain about it.
Larry

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”