Gravely

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:48 pm

I was trying out the gravely today rototilling my garden....About 1/2 thru, it quit....No popping ,snorting running rough, it just quit....I tried restarting it to no avail....I had some other work to do so I came back in 20 minutes....It fired once but that was it...Same thing 20 minutes later..So I checked the spark and it was fine...I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and turned on the key and had plenty of fuel..(elec fuel pump)...So I pulled the carb off and took it in the shop and cleaned it and blew air in all the valves jets etc, took it back out and put it on and it ran great again....Now I figured it probably caught a piece of dirt or something but usually when that happens an engine will cough and sputter a bit....This just quit like you turned the key off....Is their a saftey switch or something in the carb like their is on some lawnmowers...No elec wires go to it....Dave

Re: Gravely

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:03 am

Dave!---if a big chunk of rust/dirt/etc hits the main jet then it will just flat out die! cubs of mine do that all the time!---you might have to clean gas tank good along with the lines to the carb.--- after a few good cleanings it should clear up! lol!!! thanks; sonny

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 pm

OK Thanks Sonny...Maybe I'll stick a fuel filter in there to save taking the carb off in the future...For awhile there I thought someone had stuck one of your 3 pounder taters in the exhaust pipe...LOL....Thanks again for the reply....Dave

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:39 pm

If it did fire, I wonder how far it would launch one of them?--LOL!!! ---line filter is good idea! thanks; sonny