Hercules ZXB-3 engine bearings (Avery V)

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 am

My I & T manual lists this engine as having babbitt rod bearings and main caps with cast-in babbitt main caps with bronze-backed upper half. What are the possible alternatives for an engine rebuild which needs the rod and main bearings reworked? How expensive is it? :thanx: StaninlowerAL

Re: Hercules ZXB-3 engine bearings (Avery V)

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:09 pm

you would have to have the babbit poured then machined to size, or if you have a good machinist some times its possible to remachine for normal bearing inserts, either way you will not get away cheap
tim

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Stan, Last summer I helped a friend pour babbits for his Oil Pull Rumely. These were poured one half at a time with the crank in place. They were also big, I think he was melting 5 lbs of babbit for each pour. His did not have to be bored. I'll talk to him and see what info he can give me that relates to your situation.

Bob

Edit: You might want to google and watch several You Tubes videos on "pouring babbit" and see what you think about doing it yourself and then having the machine shop do the boring.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Do the bearings need replaced or rebabitted? I've done a few John Deere two cylinder engines and, knock on wood, after insection, I haven't had to replace bearings yet. The Deeres use babitted bearings but the bearing caps are shimmed. Using plasti-gage to check bearing clearance, I've removed shims until proper bearing clearance is obtained.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:21 pm

I've not disassembled the engine yet, just looking at what is involved and the different possibilities. The manual does reference the removal/addition of shims to get the proper clearance needed. Of course I won't really know until I get it to the point that this can be inspected and measured. Either way, it won't be a quick, easy, cheap way to go. :thanx:

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:45 pm

I decided to take the plunge and picked it up yesterday. As expected, the engine is stuck, hopefully just the pistons. With all valves and springs removed, the tappets move freely up and down. No ring grove in the cylinders, extra new valves and guides, the only parts appear to be missing are the air cleaner cap, fuel tank cap and radiator cap.