This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What A Combination

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:02 am

Marion, sounds like you spent your youth a bit like me,
For turning, windrowing etc we had a wondeful machine called a "Wuffler" which picked up the hay, took it round a central axe in a snail like casing 3'6" wide and threw it out at about 3' high, with a set of finger bars at the exit you could either fan the hay out to let it dry more or windrow it ready for pickup, bales went into a stack that was outside in the yard covered with a tarpaulin till finished then thatched with straw ready to wait till needed in winter for feeding the milking herd.
PS I agree with BD, perhaps just mowed
Pat

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:03 am

Cut hay with a Farmall H using a 7 foot sickle bar mower form an F-20 (modified to clear rear wheels). Usuually let it lay for a day to day and a half depending on hay and moistue,raked it with a New Idea high wheeled rake, then later we bougth a New Holland 2 wheel rake. Raked in mornings, and baled with a New Holland 77T baler in the afternoon. That thing couldn make a bale smaller than 60 pounds, but sure could go through a lot of hay in a day.

Most of the haying in our area was done on a 'swap work" basis with 3 or 4 local farmers going together to share equipment and work. Unfortuantely the boys of the farmeres got to haul the hay for no pay, part of the swap work. Being the youngest and smallest in the bunch I spent most of my time driving the tractor, though in later years I put in my share of time throwing bales.

Used to be lots of fun to hire some kid from town and put him on wagon stacking bales. would find one with a snake sticking out of it and throw it on wagon so snake was up and yell Snake real loud. thye'd jump clear off the wagon. also we used to catch the stacker looking the other way and see if we could knock them off the wagon with a bale. 2 of us would get together and one throw a bale low from the side stacker was facing, and the other would throw high form the blind side. worked everytime. LOL Lots more stories I could tell, but all of you already know I was an honery little bugger.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

farmall man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby farmall man » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:17 am

How does he get pto power from the tractor to the baler?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:05 am

Hard to tell form the picture, but it looks as if he has a carrier supporting a long pto shaft going past the end of the rake to the baler.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:37 pm

Donny, Neat Pic!
I am looking at the last of about 160 big round 5' x 6' bales. 1,000 - 1,200 lbs. each depending on the species in the hay.
The mowing was done with a 14 foot discbine on a CIH 7130 four-wheel-drive; handles like a cow on a crutch compared to my much loved IH 826 hydro that I bale with.
The rig will cut 10 acres an hour tho, gotta love that!

From the pic my guess is that it was cut with a 'haybine' that cuts, conditions [crimps] and windrows [in a controlled-by-the-operator fashion] and is not touched until he is ready to bale - hence the one-pass system.
It looks like the long tongue on the rake hitch is a direct pull on the baler, probably backs about like a really long wheelbase wagon. [not a trailer].
Handling 1,00 lb. bales is easier than handling 60 lb bales - takes more fuel tho... :wink:
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”