This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

McCormick Sickle Sharpener Question

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

McCormick Sickle Sharpener Question

Postby Stanton » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Have a disassembly question: How do you remove the stone from the sickle sharpener?

I have the pamphlet and instructions, but neither state how. There's a nut at one end of the stone. I've also removed the pin from the gear end of the pin, but have been hesitant to pound on anything too much. If any of you could shed some light on removing the stone, I'd appreciate it.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: McCormick Sickle Sharpener Question

Postby Scrivet » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Loosen the big nut next to the stone. It is left hand thread. The stone should slide down the shaft (away from the gear) as the shaft moves out towards the gear end. The opposite side of the stone from the nut should be a very thick washer with indentations for a pin that goes through the shaft. Once you loosen the big nut the stone should slide down the shaft enough for this washer to slide away from the pin and be able to remove the pin. Then the shaft slides out of everything with the gear still on the end.
The stone wasn't a loose fit on both of the ones I have experience with, but it wasn't what I'd call a tight fit either. Somewhere in the snug fit range would be the best description.

You may have mentioned before but is this a McCormick or a McCormick-Deering sharpener? If a McCormick, does it have the circle IH logo cast into parts?

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:03 am

Thanks for your response, that help quite a bit.

BTW, it's a McCormick sharpener with the IHC stamped into most of the parts. Thanks!!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:37 am

If my research and memory are correct the IHC circle logo means it was made after about 1908-1909 when the company created that logo design (I have never found an exact date when it was first used). Since it only has the McCormick name it has to be made before the Deering and McCormick division mergers in 1923. These dates are not exact due to taking some time to redo the molds or having castings laying around that I think would be used up before switching to the newer name. Look closely and carefully and you should see green paint. That was McCormick's color for them. McCormick-Deering ones were red and when they later switched to International, those were grey.

Here's a link to a thread with pictures of mine.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84799&p=676847&hilit=+grinder#p676847

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:25 am

Yep. There was green paint all over it. Of course, now it's mostly gone.

What color green paint is it? Looks darker than John Deere green, but lighter than Hunter Green...

Also, the stone came off just fine with your instructions. Thanks!
Attachments
100_6960w.jpg
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:39 pm

I used Van Sickle #469 Gloss Oliver Meadow Green. It's not a perfect match but was the closest shade I found of readily accessible paint. It should be just a tad darker compared to the few remaining specks I found (or maybe it's just the gloss). The Oliver Medium Green was the next closest but it was a lot darker green than what I thought it should be. Definitely NOT John Deere green though! :D :lol:

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:28 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I stopped by Westlake Hardware yesterday after work. They sell a Rust Stop spray paint in an International Green, also a John Deere and a Hunter Green, all medium-to-dark paints. Rust Stop is the brand that has the International Blue which matches the blue paint used on IHC implements.

There's a farm and home store called Feldman's and they sell the Van Sickle line. I may stop over there and see if they have the #469 Oliver and make a comparison. I like the Rust Stop paint 'cause it has an adjustable spray tip and comes in 15oz cans. Used it on my 154 blade and it wears like iron.

Will let you know. Thanks again for all your help. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

BobBundy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06840

Postby BobBundy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:49 pm

I think you just have to pound softly - I did and was able to take the stone out.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:37 am

BobBundy wrote:I think you just have to pound softly - I did and was able to take the stone out.

You've responded to a thread that is almost 2 years old. Thanks anyway. The project is long done.

BUT--I see this is your first post to the forum, so let me welcome you! Start a new post over in the "Introduce Yourself" section and tell us about yourself.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”