looking for glare ice implement engineers

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

looking for glare ice implement engineers

Postby brewzalot » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:16 pm

Has anyone here used/made a pull behind implement that would scratch/abrade the surface of glare ice?

I'm looking for a way to turn the 1-2" of glare ice on a gravel drive way and barnyard into a safer walking surface(mostly for my father). Here's the scenario- ground not froze, we get a heavy wet snow followed by above freezing temps where the drive way starts to melt but extreme cold sets in too soon, leaving a thick sheet of glare ice. This use to be just in the spring or January thaw, but lately seems to be happening quite frequently here in Wisconsin. Happening again this weekend.

I was thinking something along the lines of a rotary hoe or drag with spring loaded teeth or sections of teeth. The trick is to get something that catches the uneven areas. I want it to cover the area gone over completely so it needs to flex or be spring loaded some how. Ideally it would be about as wide as a Cub.

Thanks for any ideas
tim

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: looking for glare ice implement engineers

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Not really in the area of what you were thinking, but driving over it with chains on wheels will help, though it takes a lot of passes to cover a very large area. As an alternative thought, if you or anyone you know burns wood, ashes both provide good traction and rapidly eat into the ice making it rough. You can use we ashes, but dry is easier to spread and works better.

If you happen to have an old flail mower, you might be able to take the roller off and let it down low enough the blades would barely touch the ice. Would sure make an awful commotion though.

A disk harrow with notched blades set to run straight rather than covering might be a possibility also. Smooth blades will simply roll on the ice rather than maing marks.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:00 pm

Something like this would be a lot less work and more effective if you can get your father to use them regularly. Get a pair for yourself too!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Cat litter. Used or new.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:26 pm

Jim has you covered with the most practical solution. I use them frequently in the winter walking down my drive to get the morning paper. There is no slipping with a good pair of these on your shoes. Many different designs to choose from. Just make sure you get ones that are easy to put on and secure after they are on.
Ice Crampon.JPG
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:09 pm

12 volt spreader/seeder, tractor mounted. If the material pours you probably can spread it. You could spread salt, wood ash, and perhaps dry sand.

I have one that is mounted on a 3-point universal carrier. I have used it to spread pelletized lime and various sized seed.

Depending on what material you spread, you need to clean up the spreader before putting it in storage.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Twitter ID: @farmallcubcom

Postby Dennis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Something like this would be a lot less work and more effective if you can get your father to use them regularly. Get a pair for yourself too!

:thumbsup: I carried mail for 10 years (in my younger days) and you cannot beat a pair of these.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:54 pm

sand it

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Something like this would be a lot less work and more effective if you can get your father to use them regularly. Get a pair for yourself too!

Oh trust me, we both have a couple pairs of them...trick is what Jim said "if you can get your father to use them"
Don't get me wrong now , but I would be curious to know everyone's age who responded with the footwear solution ? He is going on 87 gets around pretty good but has gotten to where bending over and putting shoes on is tough after all those years dairy farming. I've noted that something happens about the time you turn 75-80, you seem to stop doing what you know is right and come up with all kinds of reasons why you cant or don't feel the need to. Like , "Oh it aint that slippery out", " I'm only going out to get the mail" " I hate putten them things on", " I'll just walk on the side of the driveway" etc. , etc. etc. I'm thinking you fellers are getting closer but not to that age yet :lol: But then I'm sure I will be the same ornery way he is if I make it to that age. Seriously though,I do appreciate the replies to use safety cleats, they do work great.

I failed to mention this area is pretty good size, salt (and sand around here) aint that cheap anymore and they're calling for subzero temps where salt doesn't always work. I'm lucky enough to have access to a large supply of steel drops, metal working tools, welder, and love to fabricate things. I'm convinced I can come up with something. For me, its more the challenge and gratified feeling you get watching something work that you created. If anyone has any ideas similar to John *.?-!.* cub owners , I'm still interested.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:53 pm

ash works nice but i would think its messy. i would still use sand, one fall could be catastrophic.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:07 pm

brewzalot wrote:..... I would be curious to know everyone's age who responded with the footwear solution ? .....
I did not respond with the suggestion of boot grips, but did think about them when I read the post, but decided to respond to your request rather than going the gripper rout. I just threw away a pair I had for 20 years or more, the elastic was shot, and the leather getting brittle. I do have a set of boot chains I got from tirechains.com around 50 years ago I wear if it is icy. Now I usually just stay in if it is slick, been retired a few years due to health. 67 is my age.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Fly ash is you have a near a coal fired electric power plant. When the local coal fired power plant was in operation the fly ash was free.

Living in the Ozarks, I would mine one of the local streams for fine sand and gravel and spread it on the drive.

Edit: I'm thinking about my location. Fine limestone crushed rock from one of the several quarries in this area.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Clownfish
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528

Postby Clownfish » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:15 pm

Something like a very heavy lawn aerator might break up the ice if it wasn't too thick.
The link below shows the idea but this one is not heavy duty.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200418172_200418172

Since I am in S Alabama I don't know much about ice but a couple of years ago I used one to break up about 1/2-1" of ice on my asphalt drive.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:25 pm

Something similar to what Clownfish suggests, except with 2 gangs that you can angle just a bit so it will dig/scratch as it rolls over the ice.

Since you are on a gravel surface, another alternative is something like a jack hammer approach. Punch holes in it.

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:18 pm

Clownfish wrote:Something like a very heavy lawn aerator

Jim Becker wrote:Something similar to what Clownfish suggests, except with 2 gangs that you can angle just a bit so it will dig/scratch as it rolls over the ice.

Yeah, now we're on the right track- I'm not looking to bust it up( its usually too thick) just rough it up good so its not so slick. The lawn roller is a good concept, but because the spikes wouldn't sink in like rolling on a lawn, only a few would hit as they came around if it was one long tube. I'm trying to figure out how to make it in independent sections, like a rolo harrow, but with the ability to float and follow the contours better. Instead of spikes, perhaps use flat stock with a sharpened edge (like a bunch of chisels) Setting them on an angle would definitely add to the action, that's a good idea too.

thanks