This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Old Air Compressor & Engine from the late 30's

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Old Air Compressor & Engine from the late 30's

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:07 am

Did some tree cleanup with the Bobcat the other day for the guy 2 houses down and he gave us a few items from his barn as payment. 1 of those items I know would be of interest to you guys........an International Rotary Tiller for a Cub Cadet Tractor (said he used it 1 time). But my reason for the post is the other item I got. Its an old air compressor with a date stamp of 1937 (I think) on the actual tank.

The engine is a Briggs & Stratton AR-6 with Crank Start, and the Pump is a Westinghouse. It wasn't stuck but I took the plug out of the motor and put in a little bit of ATF & Oil mixture. I also squirted some in the breather part of the compressor pump. Took the hand crank and she spins over good. I checked the compression and its got 100 psi, but unfortunately no spark. It's all complete except the homemade hand crank, and is believed to have been bought new by his dad. And funny enough, the compressor is mounted on the front end section of an old truck (or car), from the same timeframe I'm guessing, to be pulled with a truck.

Does anyone know where I can get more information about this unit (engine, pump, whole unit if factory), parts for either, and service manuals for either? I would love to get it running again and working for the nostalgia, then maybe paint it up.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Old Air Compressor & Engine from the late 30's

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:13 am

Here are some pictures. I can get more if wanted....

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Not sure if this is the right version, depends on whether the note "208250 and up" is a reference to the serial number of the spec number. But it is a start.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/content/dam/briggsandstratton/na/en_us/Files/FAQs/A%20AP%20AR6-domestic.pdf

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:40 am

Thanks Jim.....that manual says it is a 1948 model with a 6:1 gear reduction. I was hoping it was around a 1937 or 1938 model because that is what is on the welded plate on the air tank. It's not that big of an issue though....its not like it has a 1978 replacement motor.

Would you or anyone else happen to know where I could find replacement parts for an engine this old (new ones or NOS would work)? I would also like to find an original hand crank for it because it has a homemade one from galvanized pipe.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:08 am

Auto parts store. You may have to research the current parts numbers.

Small engine shop. They usually have unsold NOS.

Web sites for B&S, small engines, etc..
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:26 am

I assume you have thought of this, but that tank is probably ver rusty inside, I would suggest NOT pressurizing it until it has been tested.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:18 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I assume you have thought of this, but that tank is probably ver rusty inside, I would suggest NOT pressurizing it until it has been tested.

I have thought of that and was wondering how I could inspect it or test it.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:55 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:I have thought of that and was wondering how I could inspect it or test it.
Not knowing how the tank is plumbed - - Tubeless tire valve stem and schrader valve. Block off the tank inlet and plumb the other for the valve stem.

Clip on holder for tire air compressor hose. Set home air compressor to shut off at 25 psi, start home air compressor, stand way back. If the tank holds at 25 psi, up the air compressor to 50 psi, then to 75 psi, 100 psi, and stop at 120 psi.

If the tank is faulty, it's most likely rust holes and the first test will disclose the problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:26 pm

The conventional way of pressure testing tanks is to fill them with water then put pressure on it. As air is compressed it stores energy. Since water doesn't compress, it isn't storing energy when under pressure. A tank that fails releases all the stored energy at once. With air, it explodes. With water, it fails with a whimper. As old as that tank is, I think I would just assume it is unusable.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks for the input everyone. I still would like to test it and inspect it anyways having that it is original and has the date and data plate welded to the tank. If it had no ID then it would be easier just tossing it. I think I might try to video inspect it too but will have to come up with a camera of some sort to do so. We will see. Need to get the engine running first.

What about the Westinghouse Compressor Pump? What would be needed to service that? Anything specific to look for?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:17 pm

My grandfather told me that they used to test steam boilers by filling them completely full of water and building a small fire under them. As the water warmede they would build pressure, and when they reached the desired test pressure they simply opened a valve, and with the first few ounces of water the pressure was gone.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”