This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"cyclone" wood splitter

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

"cyclone" wood splitter

Postby jakeesspoo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:14 pm

I bought a wood splitter I believe its called a "cylcone" it hooks up to your 3 point hitch and pto and splits wood. I got it at a local farm auction knowing nothing about it it was only like 20 bucks. I was going to try to use it on my AC WD-45 eventually but was told they were discontinued because they are so dangerous. Does anyone have one of these and use it? I know all machinery can be dangerous and Im very cautious I cant see why I couldnt use it... It looks like a unicorn head that spins with a bar on the side...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:19 pm

Jake:

Got a pic? Email it to me and I can post it..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:33 pm

Sounds like the Stickler which is still made and sold. The only person I know of to have and operate one is George Willer. He has posted pics here before showing his rig he uses on a 9N I believe. I wouldn't want to get wound up in one for sure.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:04 am

Hi Jake. Here's the picture of Mr. George Willers set-up that WKPoor was talking about. Rick
http://photos.toast.net/slideshow.asp?user=gwill&album=wood%20splitter&index=6&timer=&PictDisp=0
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:16 am

They were sold as "Bark Buster" around here. They are fast. A three man crew can do twice the work of a hydraulic splitter, if you have enough tractor to pull it. Use a small axe to cut the splinter holding the split sticks together.
They are dangerous. Have at least 2" of wood hanging over the bar. Dont wear loose fitting Clothes. Tie a string to the coil wire or stop button and run it to the rear where you can reach it.
My step-son called mine" The Back Buster".
Best,
Mike

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jakeesspoo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:26 pm

thanks for the replies guys and mine looks similar to the one in the pics but Im still not really sure how to use it. I understand how to hook it up to my wd 45 but not how to load the wood onto it :?: :?: :?

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:28 pm

Jake Wilken wrote:thanks for the replies guys and mine looks similar to the one in the pics but Im still not really sure how to use it. I understand how to hook it up to my wd 45 but not how to load the wood onto it :?: :?: :?

Jake,

Seek and ye shall find!!! Just come over and although I'm not able to do the actual splitting, I'll be happy to talk you through splitting the very few remaining pieces of wild cherry I have. I don't see the hazzard most people seem to see. It's actually a pretty gentle operation. My gear box slows the cone to half speed and I usually run it at slightly more than idle speed. Practicing on mine will prepare you for running yours.

That screw doesn't really spin... it just slowly rotates.

Those hydraulic splitters scare me!
Last edited by George Willer on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:28 pm

This splits by screwing in to the wood from the side. you push it against the spinning cone, an end fetches up against a steel bar in the one pictured. The cone just screws in and is fat enough to split the piece. They scare the linning hell out of me. Then again I am a sissy. I play with girls. Matter of fact the same one for over 50 years.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:52 am

My chainsaw is much more dangerous than one of these splitters. Some people are dangerious with a hammer. If you have quicktime you can see a movie of it in action here. Get quicktime here
http://www.thestickler.com/media.cfm?type=movie&name=stickler.mov
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

I have one of these.
http://www.recall-warnings.com/cpsc-content-91-91060.html
I have some pictures here after the poor man's roll back.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5647922&uid=3969
Young man for work, old man for advice

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:13 am

I just figured out why George's splitter has a gear box. Those units are designed to bolt on to a car or truck axle and they turn opposite a PTO. The gear box turns it around the right way. I called sticlker a few years back and the man selling them told me they were thinking of making a unit for tractors. Maybe they have by now but that made me think of the main reason for the gearbox on your unit. The video I saw some yrs ago made it look extremely easy. My question is how does it do on real firewwod. You know, the stuff that is all narley notted up and stuff like elm or something real stringy. The video looks like he is splitting oak or ash-real straight grained and will open right up easily. Thats always been my question.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:57 am

I have screwed mine into some stuff that I had trouble getting it out of. I have used hydraulic splitters that did not split a piece good also. Bad splitting wood don't split good with anything.
QUESTION. Will the Stickler split hardwood and knotty rounds?
The true value of the Stickler is best demonstrated by difficult rounds. It literally
sucks the knots apart. It allows you to make firewood out of rounds that you might otherwise throw out.
QUESTION. Is the Stickler safe to operate?
The Stickler is designed to be used as a power tool and it warrants the care and respect given when using any power tool. We strongly recommend that you carefully read the operators manual and view the accompanying video prior to first time operation.Under any circumstances, when properly set-up, the Stickler is much safer to operate than the chainsaw used to cut the logs into rounds. Amen!
Young man for work, old man for advice

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:58 pm

I just recently bought a used screw type log splitter called a "Unicorn". The log splitter was made by the Thackery Co., Columbus, OH in 1979. I haven't tried to use it yet, I use a tractor mounted splitter. Also, I may be a little scared of it. But I do have a manual for it, which is pretty good, really. It explains all of the do's and don'ts. I'll copy and send it to whoever wants it. I haven't looked at Rudi's site in a while. Maybe Rudi has a place for it, if there's any interest. Just let me know. Larry

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:36 pm

Talk about dangerous pieces of equipment.

My father-in-law being the inventive guy that he is, built himself a splitter many years ago. It is powered by either a belt from a PTO or the rear wheel of a car with a leather belt or by using one of them new fangled things they call a small engine of say 5 or 6 hp -- you know Briggs and Stratton or Tecumseh.....

Neat piece of equipment. Will try to get a picture for you all...

Basically it is constructed with a very large and very heavy flywheel upon which is welded an old axe head. Sharpened up, this thing will whiz through Albert County Rock Maple that makes gnarly hardwoods of any type seem soft.

However, as this thing sort of spins/rotates etc., the object is to insert the log to be split just prior to the axe head coming in contact with said log, and by firmly maintaining your grip upon said stick, remove it quickly once the axe head has finished its pass through the stick and continues on to its next go round.

Not sure how fast this thing runs, but I guess it makes a complete pass every 30 seconds or so...

Scares the bejeepers out of me, and I don't scare easy....

Anybody picture this :?:

Will try to get a pic this week if I can....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jakeesspoo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:28 pm

now that sounds scary rudy! :twisted:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:46 pm

Rudi your father in laws invention is an improvement on that used in the French Revolution. "Off with their heads".

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”