Walk Behind Tractor Identification

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Walk Behind Tractor Identification

Postby ricky racer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:12 pm

I stopped over at a neighbors farm yesterday to look at a 23A disk they want to sell. While I was there I was shown a walk behind tractor that I couldn't identify. I know someone here will likely help me identify what make it is. I really hope it's a Pond's built by Cecil Ponds the inventor of the Wheel Horse line of tractors. We're just a few miles from Cecil's home. Probably just wishful thinking. Anyway, it has a Kohler engine and the only marking I can find on it is the name Pace cast into the final drive housing but that may just be the name of the maker of that part. I couldn't get any good pictures because it was kind of buried in a barn. Any ideas of the manufacturer?

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Re: Walk Behind Tractor Identification

Postby Urbish » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:51 am

That is unusual in that the engine hangs so far off the front. Too bad I can't make out what it says under "PACE" in the last photo.

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:38 am

Booyah! It's PAGE, not PACE. Built by the Pioneer Mfg Company of Milwaukee, WI (Figured out that it says "MILW WI" under "PAGE" in the casting). Some google searching will get you from here.

Here's another: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76098

From: http://oldengine.org/members/allen/Pioneer/About.html

The Page Dairy and Farm Equipment Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, had been manufacturing garden tractors since 1928, according to the publication Vintage Garden Tractors. It is not clear how Page Dairy and Farm Equipment was at that time related to Pioneer Manufacturing Company, but models ZA-5A and ZA-7A were Page products. According to Dane Baas, writing in Vintage Garden Tractors, Page Dairy and Farm Equipment Company had been acquired by 1949 by the Pioneer Manufacturing Company. Pioneer may have bought Page Dairy and Farm much sooner than this. Alan King, in Garden Tractors 1920-1956 also shows the Page tractor as a Pioneer product.
Models ZA-5A and ZA-7A were both the same tractor. Each was powered by an independent air-cooled engine directly connected to a transmission/drive unit. Forward motion was obtained through the use of two clutch levers on the handle bars. When pushed forward, the clutches could transmit power to one or both drive wheels.
Last edited by Urbish on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:49 am

It appears that Pioneer Mfg also made several models of 'PAGE' branded small garden tractors based on that same driveline.