This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dump Trailer

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety: Y

Dump Trailer

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 pm

I've got a Big Tex dump trailer and it is a single dual action cylinder...The pump runs both ways...Both of my hoses developed leaks , so I changed them with NAPA 3/8 hoses made up to the correct length...Only thing was the guy used bigger diameter hoses than the ones I gave him and by the time they went thru a pipe and turned they were to short...I figured that since the pump operated both way I could swap them and they would work ( they fit that way)...Loaded the trailer and it wouldn't dump...( It worked fine empty)...So I got a hose extension made up and swapped them back around...think it will work now ????....Its fine again as long as its empty...I'll try it partially loaded when it dries out and I start hauling manure but I was wondering does that line that retracts the cylinder have a relief valve or something either in the pump outlet or the cylinder...Big Tex is of no help...Dave
In Memory of 58,286

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Re: Dump Trailer

Postby Slim140 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:26 pm

If you hooked them back up the way they came off why wouldn't it work? Makes sense to me as long as you got all the air out of the system. You can't compress fluid but you can air, that may be why it wouldn't dump with a load.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue May 23, 2017 7:30 pm

I can think of no reason why it wouldn't work( however I didn't put it back that way till I got it unloaded and raised it with the lines backward)...Just thought someone might know more than I about the hook ups and why it wouldn't work the other way being as the pump ran in either direction...I googled it and some say a charged battery won't raise the dump if the solenoid detects a fault with the battery....Course it was the internet and I didn't think dump trailers were that smart but I did invest in a new bigger battery ( I need a spare for 50 loads of manure)...I bled it much like the way we bleed a TC, with the cap off and up and down a half dozen times...Wonder if I should crack a fitting like you do when bleeding diesel injectors...My loader is single action and that bleeds itself just by operating the loader up and down 3 or 4 times...I will only partially load it and try it when the time arises...Nothing worse than standing on the back of a dump trailer with a shovel and throwing mulch into a trip bucket that won't sit flat until its on the ground so it can't be used to scrape a dump trailer...Whats wrong with that picture....At least it was mulch..hahahaha...But she does have a camera on her cell phone...uh oh.....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:I can think of no reason why it wouldn't work( however I didn't put it back that way till I got it unloaded and raised it with the lines backward)...Just thought someone might know more than I about the hook ups and why it wouldn't work the other way being as the pump ran in either direction...I googled it and some say a charged battery won't raise the dump if the solenoid detects a fault with the battery....Course it was the internet and I didn't think dump trailers were that smart but I did invest in a new bigger battery ( I need a spare for 50 loads of manure)...I bled it much like the way we bleed a TC, with the cap off and up and down a half dozen times...Wonder if I should crack a fitting like you do when bleeding diesel injectors...My loader is single action and that bleeds itself just by operating the loader up and down 3 or 4 times...I will only partially load it and try it when the time arises...Nothing worse than standing on the back of a dump trailer with a shovel and throwing mulch into a trip bucket that won't sit flat until its on the ground so it can't be used to scrape a dump trailer...Whats wrong with that picture....At least it was mulch..hahahaha...But she does have a camera on her cell phone...uh oh.....Dave

Fifty loads of manure? :shock: You growing mushrooms up there? :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed May 24, 2017 4:43 am

Fifty loads of manure? :shock: You growing mushrooms up there? :D.....Here I got all excited and figured if you answered I'd get the straight "poop" , so to speak" buttttt".. :lol: .My neighbor found a horse farm that wanted rid of manure , so he's getting 50 loads and I'm getting 50 loads and we're stock piling it and of course using some on out gardens... Been waiting for it to dry up to get to it though...People tell me I'm full of crap and I'm trying to prove them right... :lol: ..... :tractor: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Wed May 24, 2017 5:37 am

You might want to look at putting a pressure gauges in the up and down Circuits to trouble shoot. I guessing you still have air in the system,or a weak pump.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed May 24, 2017 10:06 am

I'm also betting on air in the lines. The Air in the line compresses due to the weight. Here's how you can tell. Lift the trailer a bit (like 10-15 degrees) and carefully climb into the trailer. If it lowers when your weight is added, then there is air in the line. It should also feel quite firm and shouldn't be very bouncy if you jump a bit on it.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm

More than likely it's air still in the system or lack of hydraulic pump pressure.

However, measure the trailer's bore/piston diameter in square inches, multiply times advertised pump pressure. It could be that the load weights more than the hydraulic cylinder can move.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks guys, I'll try all that and then go get a load of mulch for the supreme test...I have a gauge , been wanting to jump up and down, and Its not because the load outsizes the cylinder for sure cause it was only mulch and I've had the same amount of crusher run on it..and manure..and dirt come to think of it.The see thru reservoir seems to go down appropriately when the cylinder extends and back to normal when it retracts so I'll give the previously mentioned suggestions a try and see....Thanks for the replies gentlemen....
In Memory of 58,286

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:01 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:Thanks guys, I'll try all that and then go get a load of mulch for the supreme test...I have a gauge , been wanting to jump up and down, and Its not because the load outsizes the cylinder for sure cause it was only mulch and I've had the same amount of crusher run on it..and manure..and dirt come to think of it.The see thru reservoir seems to go down appropriately when the cylinder extends and back to normal when it retracts so I'll give the previously mentioned suggestions a try and see....Thanks for the replies gentlemen....

Your first post says a single cylinder, double acting and you say it has 2 hoses, correct? Your reservoir shouldn't move much at all if that's the case.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed May 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Chipmaker wrote:
pickerandsinger wrote:Thanks guys, I'll try all that and then go get a load of mulch for the supreme test...I have a gauge , been wanting to jump up and down, and Its not because the load outsizes the cylinder for sure cause it was only mulch and I've had the same amount of crusher run on it..and manure..and dirt come to think of it.The see thru reservoir seems to go down appropriately when the cylinder extends and back to normal when it retracts so I'll give the previously mentioned suggestions a try and see....Thanks for the replies gentlemen....

Your first post says a single cylinder, double acting and you say it has 2 hoses, correct? Your reservoir shouldn't move much at all if that's the case.
....Holds about a gallon and its not leaking , so it has to be going somewhere.. Goes down a couple inches last I noticed. I filled it with the cylinder retracted.....Worked in the gardens all day and rain tomorrow so I'll check it over good on Friday unless we get a break in the rain...Sure fire test is to load it again.. I need another 3 1/2 yards of mulch for her flowers etc so that'll do it...I'll do the checks mentioned and if they are all ok, I'll load it and see...Then if it don't lift it, I'll shovel it off again and start over...University of Hard Knocks... :lol: :lol: .I just piped hydraulics on a tractor from scratch but this has me stumped , unless its ok now ,and there was something that prevents pressure from going to high in a return line, even if the pump is running...Or it had air in the lines.. :lol: :thanx: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Thu May 25, 2017 5:44 am

If if is power up and down it will take multiple cycles to get the system purged of air.

It doesn't take very much air in a hydraulic system to create the issues you describe. I would cycle the system several more times before you attempt to load the system.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu May 25, 2017 3:30 pm

Steve Butram wrote:If if is power up and down it will take multiple cycles to get the system purged of air.

It doesn't take very much air in a hydraulic system to create the issues you describe. I would cycle the system several more times before you attempt to load the system.
.....Ok Steve, I was told that today by another feller also...I worked on a transmission today but I'm heading out to cycle the dump trailer some more....Thanks..Dave
In Memory of 58,286

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri May 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Well gentlemen everything worked fine today...I have no idea if it was putting the lines back the way there were, bleeding the air by operating it up and down about 8 times last night, or the new battery but it unloaded heavy wet manure with no problem...I do appreciate your input and thanks for responding to my post... :thanx: :tractor: Dave....
In Memory of 58,286

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”