Wheel Horse Mania

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Wheel Horse Mania

Postby T-Mo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:21 am

My hobby that I'm into the most is old garden tractors. I have had quite a few over the years, Cub Cadets, John Deeres and Wheel Horses. I picked up a load of 5 Wheel Horses about 3 weeks ago. Two 953s, a GT-14, a Charger V8 and a Lawn Ranger. I wanted the 953s and the GT-14, and the other two were sort of throw ins. I specifically wanted the 953s, so to me, those were the jewels of the load. See the load of Wheel Horses below that I brought home. Probably over 3000 pounds of red stuff.

Yesterday I got one of the 953s running. It's the first time it's ran in years. Sounds okay, though it did smoke a bit for a while, but it seem to smoke less the longer it ran. I drove it around the yard some, so all the gears work fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsJKQ-4 ... e=youtu.be

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club

Re: Wheel Horse Mania

Postby T-Mo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:55 am

BTW, the last photo, you can see clearly the GT-14. The rear tires are filled with calcium chloride, and as you can see, it pretty much ate the rims. Nasty stuff. I do have a better pair of rims to put on the GT-14, so I will be doing that soon, as well as trying to get it and the other 953 running.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:20 am

Cecil Ponds started making Wheel Horse tractors just a few miles from my house years ago. There's a lot of history in those tractors. My neighbor across the street worked as a draftsman for Wheel Horse and used to bring home equipment to test. He told me that when he built his house all the backfill was done with Wheel Horse equipment that he was testing for them.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club

Postby T-Mo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:35 am

You can use IH Red and IH White when restoring old Wheel Horses. The IH White would be used for the wheels. The history of Wheel Horse is quite interesting, having started with Elmer Pond and his son Cecil back in the 1940s from their garage in South Bend, Indiana. Elmer's brother also had a hand in the Speedex tractors. Cecil sold Wheel Horse to AMC in 1973, and then AMC sold it to an investment group in the mid 80s and then Toro bought them in 1986 and kept the line open until 2007 when the last Classic Wheel Horse was built, which would have been a 315-8. Toro doesn't make L&G tractors anymore, just zero turns and walk behinds, mainly. Sad.