Cordwood Saw

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:20 pm

I was wondering if anybody knows how to sharpen cordwood saw blades? I have a cross cut and a rip blade but don't know esactly how to sharpen them. I have access to more if i need but don't want to pay 20$ for them if I don't have to. Thanks in advance, Jostev

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:16 am

I respect your frugality, but $20 is a small price to pay considering the time it takes by hand, or the price of the grinding machine. Around here a 30" blade will cost $40 to $60 to grind and set.
Also there is the cost of the file and set gage.
Best,
Mike

Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:08 pm

Well that price is for a used blade, I'm not sure if they are sharp or not. I was just wondering if was easy enough to do myself. I think they have about 5 or so more blades so one of them ought to be sharper. Thanks again, Jostev

Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:48 pm

Bel Saw makes a sharpener for all type things. I have one home that had instructions. If I remember right , first you true it up for round.. Called jointing. /Then you file each tooth so that it comes to a point and all flat spots from jouinting are remeove. Then you deepen each gullet. The deep rounded part. Nevt you need some sort of bloock with a bevel. You hammer strike 3every other tooth to give it set. You then flip it over and do the remaining teeth. You either need a real good feel or the tool. There is also a set of plier looking tool that can make the desired set and evenly.

Bill

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:06 pm

thanks beaconlight, I will try to get to that sometime soon, winter is coming so it needs to get ready soon. Thanks again, Jostev