engine will not start

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
obispo62
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Zip Code: 48768

engine will not start

Postby obispo62 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:25 pm

I have a model 64 McCormick combine with a cub engine. It will not start. I've had the magneto worked on and have been assured it has good spark. I've replaced the ethanol/gasoline mixture with rec89. I've replaced the spark plugs. I've rebuilt the carburetor. I've cleaned the commutator on the starter, because it seemed to be going too slowly. Because the engine is on a combine, it sits unused for long periods. I'm at my wits end. I've read this forum about similar starting problems with cub engines. I have a Farmall C and a Farmall M. Both start and run well on the enthanol/gasoline mixture.

User avatar
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 12826
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:45 am
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MD, Deep Creek Lake

Re: engine will not start

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Other than replacing plugs, when was the last complete tune-up? What is the condition of the battery?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Image
Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16257
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: engine will not start

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Prime the oil pump before you go further.

Since engine has a starter, compression test, dry then wet. Looking for stuck valve(s).

The C60 IH engine is prone to sticking/stuck valves if the engine sat for a length of time.

The engine will run satisfactorily on ethanol blend.
I have an excuse. CRS.

User avatar
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:40 pm
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Niles / Buchanan, Michigan

Re: engine will not start

Postby ricky racer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Have you verified fuel flow to the carb? Follow the advice given by Eugene, a stuck valve may very well be the issue if it's getting good fuel flow. Search priming the oil pump on this site. The oil pump is mounted behind the flywheel and can loose it prime when setting for long periods. If the engine should start and the pump has lost it's prime bad things will happen. Let us know what you find regarding the compression test.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

User avatar
tmays
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 8:59 pm
Zip Code: 39180
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub

154 Cub LoBoy
Location: Vicksburg, MS

Re: engine will not start

Postby tmays » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:35 am

You say mag been worked on. Was mag removed? If so,May not be timed correctly
Thomas

obispo62
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Zip Code: 48768

Re: engine will not start

Postby obispo62 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 am

Don McCombs wrote:Other than replacing plugs, when was the last complete tune-up? What is the condition of the battery?

Complete tune-up was done at time plugs were replaced. The battery seems to hold a charge.

obispo62
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Zip Code: 48768

Re: engine will not start

Postby obispo62 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 am

Eugene wrote:Prime the oil pump before you go further.

Since engine has a starter, compression test, dry then wet. Looking for stuck valve(s).

The C60 IH engine is prone to sticking/stuck valves if the engine sat for a length of time.

The engine will run satisfactorily on ethanol blend.

The engine ran earlier this year.

obispo62
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Zip Code: 48768

Re: engine will not start

Postby obispo62 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:42 am

tmays wrote:You say mag been worked on. Was mag removed? If so,May not be timed correctly

Yes, the mag was removed, but was replaced according to instructions in the engine's Operator's Manual.

obispo62
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Zip Code: 48768

Re: engine will not start

Postby obispo62 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:44 am

ricky racer wrote:Have you verified fuel flow to the carb? Follow the advice given by Eugene, a stuck valve may very well be the issue if it's getting good fuel flow. Search priming the oil pump on this site. The oil pump is mounted behind the flywheel and can loose it prime when setting for long periods. If the engine should start and the pump has lost it's prime bad things will happen. Let us know what you find regarding the compression test.

I will give this a try!

obispo62
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Zip Code: 48768

Re: engine will not start

Postby obispo62 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Other than replacing plugs, when was the last complete tune-up? What is the condition of the battery?

Recently the distributor rotor had to be replaced. How do I know whether it is properly located now?

obispo62
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Zip Code: 48768

Re: engine will not start

Postby obispo62 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Eugene wrote:Prime the oil pump before you go further.

Since engine has a starter, compression test, dry then wet. Looking for stuck valve(s).

The C60 IH engine is prone to sticking/stuck valves if the engine sat for a length of time.

The engine will run satisfactorily on ethanol blend.

Recently the distributor rotor had to be replaced. How do I know if it's properly located now?

obispo62
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Zip Code: 48768

Re: engine will not start

Postby obispo62 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:17 pm

obispo62 wrote:
ricky racer wrote:Have you verified fuel flow to the carb? Follow the advice given by Eugene, a stuck valve may very well be the issue if it's getting good fuel flow. Search priming the oil pump on this site. The oil pump is mounted behind the flywheel and can loose it prime when setting for long periods. If the engine should start and the pump has lost it's prime bad things will happen. Let us know what you find regarding the compression test.

I will give this a try!

Recently the distributor rotor had to be replaced. How do I know if it's now properly located?

obispo62
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Zip Code: 48768

Re: engine will not start

Postby obispo62 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 pm

obispo62 wrote:
tmays wrote:You say mag been worked on. Was mag removed? If so,May not be timed correctly

Yes, the mag was removed, but was replaced according to instructions in the engine's Operator's Manual.

Recently the distributor rotor had to be replaced. How do I know if it's now properly located?

User avatar
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:40 pm
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Niles / Buchanan, Michigan

Re: engine will not start

Postby ricky racer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:34 pm

With #1 cylinder at TDC (compression stroke) the rotor shoud be at the 1 o'clock position.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

User avatar
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 12826
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:45 am
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MD, Deep Creek Lake

Re: engine will not start

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Mag rotor and pinion must be aligned correctly. See the ninth post down in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63114&p=516280&hilit=rotor+pinion+alignment#p516280
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Image
Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests