This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet 108 Project

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Cub Cadet 108 Project

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:18 pm

Well Gord Trail got real lucky and managed to finally acquire a Cub Cadet he has had his eye on for a loooong time..

It does have issues I am afraid, but those issues are giving Gord and I some quality Buddy time and quality Cub time.. and for that I am glad 8) :D

It is also providing me with some real challenges.. not just limited to the Steering Wheel Removal Problem.. but fabrication challenges. Literally learning how to do stuff in steel.. and I am really enjoying it. These little critters, although smaller than their larger Red or Yaller & White Cub cousins, share a lot of similarities and are great to gain experience on.

I am going to try to put together a little Project thread to see how this goes..

So on with the Cub Cadet 108 Project....

Gord's Cub Cadet 108.. minus the seat and hood.... a project already begun.

The first thing that we did on this project was on Monday. Starting to get some welding practice. I have not really been able to weld all that well, but I am starting to get the hand of it. I am also using an Arc (stick) welder and not a Mig with Argon Gas.. that is a few months away yet..

Figures the first one would be T-Bolts for the Hood, a difficult little job that requires a little more skill than I posses, but I had to try. They were completely missing.. so Gord cut up the parts and I welded em.. they fit perfectly.. boy was I surprised... :shock: :? :shock: :roll: :lol:

With that bit of success.. we went on to the toasted hinge replacement.. That is still a work in progress.. and after a couple failed attempts to line it all up, I think we got it, but it will be tomorrow before it gets done.. So this morning we decided that we would continue on with the QA-36A Snow Thrower Replacement Parts section of the project.

Gord is missing entirely the Chute Control Rod and the Rod Guard. The original rod was broken off just aft of the pin where it connects to the Chute Swivel Control, and in the pic below you can see the break. Sorry for the lousy quality.. but I am using my old Kodak that a friend sent me, cause Em won't let me use Her Digital... :shock: :cry: Just as good, cause I would probably get it full of grease.. :roll: :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Bruce gave us a clue as what we needed to use to start the fabrication..

This needed a few minor fixes. First it needed to have the female end bored out to accept a 3/8" Cold Rolled Steel Rod that would become the new Chute Control Rod.

The male end needed to be welded into a 3/8" Universal Threaded Union. The Union needed to be bored out to 3/8" as well to fit over the end of the broken shaft and also be bored out to accept a cotter pin to connect the two parts.

The next step was to test fit the individual parts after boring was completed and prior to the welding attempt :shock: :!:

Image Image

Success :!: :shock: :roll: :? :lol: Shocked me all to heck, I can tell ya.. I am not used to these kinds of projects actually working.... :roll: :shock: :? :shock: So I guess it was time to bit the bullet, and take it over to Dad's to weld er up. I just bought the ground clamp I need for my Arc Welder and it isn't installed yet, to I have to use Dad's stick welder. That's okay, cause it is the one I am used to..
Here it is all cleaned up..

What is really surprising is that the universal still is a universal joint with movement on all axis on both joints.. unbelievable.. for me that is..

Here is the test fit on the Swivel Assembly..

And Gord fitting it to his QA-36A Snow Thrower.

Image.

I guess the point of this thread is to encourage those who haven't tried to fix up their Cub Cadets or in the other vein their larger Red or Yaller & White Cubs as well, to go ahead and try. It is tons of fun, you will learn a lot, and as you learn (hopefully with a buddy around to keep yer spirits up), new techniques and skills, you will become a lot more confident around your equipment. I know I sure am enjoying this.. and the time I get to spend with my Father-in-law Norman and my very close friend Gord.. is absolutley priceless.

Do have fun with this stuff.

We will probably continue with these posts as Gord and I progress through his Cub Cadet 108 Project... with things like the
    Chute Control Rod - Phase 2 (Hand grip)
    Steering Wheel Removal
    Front Hood Hinge Replacement
    Rod Guard
    Battery Box Repair
    Tin Repair
and what ever else we see that needs to be done..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:57 am

Thanks Rudi, I really enjoy reading your posts and seeing this kind of stuff, no matter the nature of the tractor or the work, it as all fun and interesting to me and a host of others. Please keep us updated on the project as you fellows go through it, it looks like it's going to turn out to be a sweetheart! It is never work with friends around- just a good time and labor of love :o

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48701

Postby R Bedell » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:21 am

Rudi:

Thanks for the story & pics. You definitely have the "yellow" fever - :lol:

Soon you will be finding more cubs to add to your barn :D

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:48 am

Hey Rudi,
lookin' good, I love my 108, if you need any info I can help with let me know (measurements for missing parts etc.).
BTW, what is a Chute Control Rod?

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:59 am

Never mind about the chute control rod, I see that you are working on a snowblower, Duh :oops:
Dave

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:36 pm

Thanks Guys :!:

We are having a lot of fun, and if it has anything to do with Cubs.... then I am in there, although they pretty much HAVE to be IH CubCadets -- For Me.. and that is a personal preference. I just absolutely am enthralled by IH and their vision, which launched a whole outdoor revolution.. one that made owning property such as mine possible. I must post some updated pics..

I just hope that I don't have to wait 15 years for my Cub Cadet. I don't even know what model I want, although I do know that it WILL NOT be a Hydro-stat... have one, not impressed.. my JD 111 is a nice machine for a lawn mower.. but I am not an automatic type person.. I relate more to a stick shift :!: :wink: :shock: 8) :lol:

Dave or anybody with the QA-36A Snow Thrower have a pic of the Rod Guide which is Item #10 on Page 2 of the Operator's Manual? We need to figure out what the bump is and if we made the rod guide correctly..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:32 pm

Rudi:

I have both NF & WF Cubs. All my Cubs are IH or CCC Built.

I have worked on both. From my experience, I prefer to work on the WF Cubs. They are just easier to work on.

With that in mind, I would suggest a CC 128 or CC 1200. Both are WF's and gear drive. Unfortunately, 12HP was the largest HP in a production offering that CC made. I have seen 14 & 16 HP motors in WF's but were custom applications.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:46 pm

RB:

K, now I understand. NF = Narrow Frame, WF = Wide Frame... :idea: I was :? :? :?

For me, it really doesn't matter for horsepower.. I think the 12 hp Kohler is more than big enough. I would just be happy to have it to mow in the areas that my JD111 has trouble with.. along the lines of my old Craftsman...

It would never be my main lawn mower.. but more my hobby.. just like Ellie and Granny will be more Garden than Lawn maintenance, although.. the jury is still out.. I want to try my belly mower and belly reel mower setups..

But I definitely want a Gear Drive..

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:52 pm

Rudi:

Sorry, thought you knew what NF & WF were......... :oops:

The Chute Control Rod is held in place with a bracket. That bracket slides or fits into a "pocket" on the RH side of the QA36A mounting bracket. See attached picture with red circle. Is this what you wanted to know...???? :?: Image

Leadfoot
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Leadfoot » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:56 pm

Rudi: It looks like you guys are making some good progress 8)

I 'lengthened' my chute control rod on my QA42A. I was tired of having to stoop over in the seat (with Carharts on) to turn the crank. I also made a new chute rod support that is a bit taller than the 'stock' support, plus added 'drift cutters', and sprayed the inside of the thrower housing, discharge chute, and auger with 'Slip Plate' graphite paint.

Here is a pic or two of the mods.

Here you can see how much higher the crank handle is now. 8)

My dad bought a JD 111 new (in about 1983 I think) While it has done a good job for him...PLEASE do not judge all hydro tractors by the 111 standards :shock:

The Sunstrand built hydrostatic units in the Cub Cadets are far superior to whatever JD used in the 111 models!

Nothing wrong with a gear drive Cub cadet, but there is nothing wrong with a hydro CC either :D

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:09 pm

RB:

Cool, wish I could mark up a pic like that. I can do a lot of stuff, but I can't do that simple stuff with paint...

Anyways, close...

As the Friendly Giant used to say to Rusty the Rooster -- Look up, look wayyyy up.. see where the eye is for the rod to go through.. what is that oversized thingy on the Rod.. that is what Gord is curious about.... and so am I. Is it important.. heck I don't know.. all depends if one wants to be totally accurate.. we aren't going to be.. wait till you see my modification..

Leadfoot:

My JD 111 is brand new.. in 2005... so I am not sure who makes what anymore.. with my luck, they farmed it out to MTD who farmed it out to Roper.. :roll: :oops: :shock: :? :wink:

Anyways, it is not quality that has me a little unimpressed with the HydroStats.. it is the total lack of BRAKES... Hydro-Stats seem to rely on the tranny to do the braking.. this works in the vast number of scenarios.. but.. hey.. Em just bought me that thing last spring for our aniversary, Father's Day and me birthday.. so it is important that I keep it nice... at least to me it is.

Already.. I am not impressed with loading it. My utility trailer (Larry, you know what I mean), does not have raised rails or any bumpers etc to act as stops. The JD lacking brakes.. and my lacking a lot of confidence in the lack of brakes.. rolled right off of the deck onto the tongue whilst still tied to the van.. bent a few things and I AM NOT HAPPY about it.. at all :cry: :roll: :oops: :roll: :cry:

As for your mods.. they are similar to ours.. we increased the length of the chute rod so that it would be easier for Gord. Of course, we really did not know that until a few minutes ago... after seeing yours and the original RB posted.

The Drift Cutters are a good idea, and one that Gord and I may make use of.. I find that with my Yardman it really does help a lot in high drifts which we get regularly around here.. sure makes it easier on the body.. so I imagine it will make it easier on the thrower.

I am not all that familiar with single stage throwers.. I am more familiar with two stage blowers... auger and impellers sure move snow a lot farther than just the auger.. I need to throw snow sometimes 8-10 feet up and 20 to 30 feet out as a minimum just to keep me driveway clear. When it gets too high, I get Dad and the 6 footer on the Massey to clear it, and even then we have to use the bucket at times..

The eye in your Rod Guide is different.. what is it? is it original or modified and can you post a better pic???

Thanks for the input guys..

I will get to remember your first names.. and I apologize, cause I do know them, but I am not 100% sure with my memory lately, I make a lot of boo-boos and call people by the wrong name, so I will not take the chance... I am not great with monikers.. gets too complicated for me old brain..

Personally I usually answer to whatever as long as nobody calls me late for Dinner, it is usually a moot point.. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leadfoot
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Leadfoot » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:49 pm

Rudi: Ahhhh...you have a 'new' JD 111....my dad's is obviously the 'original' JD 111.

On the CC hydros. True, you can use the transmission as the 'brake'...but they also have either external disk brakes, or an internal brake (hydro tractor brakes are just like the gear drive tractors...) As long as the brake set-up is properly adjusted on a CC...IT'S NOT GOING TO MOVE 8)

I'm thinking the chute control rod is 5/16".......but anyway, the rod support is the same size. When I lengthened the chute rod, I cut a piece, and bent it to clear the side shields. Then used some 3/4" washers...(and 'staggered' them to get an angle) and welded them to the rod, then used a really short piece of the rod on the top side, and welded it to the washers...to maintain the spacing so the washers couldn't 'move' and bind up the crank handle. :wink:

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:06 am

Rudi:

Here is a close up of the end of the support rod

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:35 pm

RB:

You just made me a happy guy.. Will post the pics tomorrow maybe.. I am just too pooped tonight..

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:48 am

Guys:

In LeadFoot's 2nd pic of his CC, it shows the Lift Rod and the Lift Arm connection. You can clearly see the yoke and clevis on the Arm.

Question:

1. Can we have a pic showing the udder end of the Lift Rod at the QA-36A end :?:

2. What is the length of said Lift Rod :?:

Gord just infomed me that he is missing that particular critter as well. He now has the yoke and clevis, the rod which we shall thread , cut to length and apply whatever we need :?: :? :?: to the udder end..

Boy am I gonna get good at using die's on new threads... :shock: :roll: :? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Cub Cadet”