This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question about restoring implements

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
a-dougk1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66056

Question about restoring implements

Postby a-dougk1 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:14 pm

I'm in the process of restoring an old, rusted 54A blade. I've got most of the parts repainted, but was wondering what to do about the badly rusted nuts, washers, and bolts.

I could run them through the electrolosis bucket I made, then paint them either silver or red. Or I could buy all new nuts, washers, and bolts.

What would you do?

Also, does anyone make the label for this implement? It has the implement name spray painted in yellow on one side, then has a stick-on IH label on the other. I was wondering if anyone made the label.

Doug
"My destiny's ta get the h*ll outa here."
Henry Fonda - My Name is Nobody

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:45 pm

I'd use new grade 8 bolts. If the originals are weakened due to rust, you might break one later on after you paint it up and are using it. Better to replace them now, than to break one later, when you need the implement. :D Brandon.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:22 pm

If bolts, nut and washers still look good I clean them on a wire wheel. Its just faster than the tank. Everyone knows how much I love my tank. Right Rudi?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:17 pm

I think Ralph has a tumbler like you use for polishing rocks he uses on bolts. a little slow, but works while you are away.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=46376
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:08 pm

The rock tumbler is a great idea. If you have a blasting cabinet handy, put them in a wire sieve(sp?) and do them that way. BE VERY CAREFULL using a wire wheel; many of us know why :oops: :oops: !
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:06 am

I place all my rusty bolts, nuts & washers in a coffee can with KROIL and let them soak for a few days.

I take them out and, using my VICE GRIP for a secure grip, buff them up on my wire wheel (ALWAYS wearing SAFETY GOGGLES and leather gloves and LONG SLEEVED SHIRT (in case any of the small wire brush pieces come off...and they DO!!!). :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:04 am

If I am going to be doing a lot of wire brushing, I use a leather welding apron similar to this canvas one that harbor freight sells. Sure beets having my shirt and belly looking like a porcupine. :lol: Wire wheels get worse aobut sheddign wires as they get old, though the twisted ones do last better.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:17 am

ya i cought a wire right in the forehead lastnight :lol: *%^# chinese wire wheel , i would never have used it but i got it for free and my other one was worn down to nothing :x i usually use a bench grinder on nuts and bolts but you better hold on tight or there gonna be flyin . like Country said use vice grips , not the chinese one either , they may look alike but there not .
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:30 am

Yeah, I have a original front wheel center dot bolt somewhere in my shop that was jerked from me while wire brushing it. When I get time, I plan to do a better search for it. A wire wheel can shake you out of a daydream real quick. Be careful out there!
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:50 am

I put the bolt in a vice and use a grinder with a wire wheel attachment.
may look into a tumbler from harbor frieght
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

a-dougk1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66056

Postby a-dougk1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:43 pm

So, when I reassemble the blade, what should I do with the nuts, washers, and screws. Just leave them unpainted?

So far, I've covered any exposed threads on the blade parts with tape so they are currently unpainted. Once I reassemble the blade, should I spritz all of the unpainted nuts, bolts, washers and threads with a coat of red paint? Or should I leave some or all of them unpainted?

Doug
"My destiny's ta get the h*ll outa here."

Henry Fonda - My Name is Nobody

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:01 pm

Doug I too am in the process of fixing up a 54A blade. I am replacing all the bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts,with grade 8 bolts. Then putting it back together the best I can, then painting parts as I go back together with it. Mine was also pretty rusty but am just using a wire brush to get the worst of the rust off before I shoot it with rattle can primer and paint. I am going to use this blade quite a bit and it will be taken on and off alot for I am going to be using a cultivator on it also. So i am not to worried about what the bolts look like because they are going to get scuffed up anyway! :roll:

best of luck! Alan

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:09 pm

I do use one of the rock tumblers
They work very well.
A little advice and a few words of caution
DO Not buy the double drum as it has the same little motor on the single and the double and it is undersize for the double drum unit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=46376

you will also need to first thing take the top off to access the belt take it off and get a large O ring the correct size as the belt.
once you have the O ring put the original belt back on it .
the O ring you got for a spare will be appreciated at that unusual hour that you need it as you Will SHURELY need it. the factory belt is good for about 24 hours of tumble and it will break . The O ring however will last for a long time.
Do Not Overload it !!!!!!!!!
it says 3 pound but that is the sand water and cleaner and bolts.
I put what would amount to a set of front and rear lugs(20) and a set of square wheel bolta and nuts (8) in a load
Put some degreaser powder tide or mean green or your favorite cleaner put some sand and water and let it tumble for about 12 hours .
i have cleaned 100 plus pounds of bolts and hardware and it does a good job.

Thanks Ralph
Last edited by Ralph on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:50 pm

Nuts!

Because of budgetary constraints (Ok no job) I cleaned up all the ones on the red Cub, unless they were really bad, with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. I really would have liked a tumbler, but....

Really do hate doing it.... but the above cautions are all good!

I always prime stuff as soon as possible.

Also working on a blade, but mine is a McCormick I guess.

Here is the radiator bolts:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... b81202.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... aba839.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... c7c189.jpg

By the way, that box has more paint than cardboard.... even lots of yeller paint.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:23 pm

I restored a 54A blade last winter, and I only cleaned up the blots enough to tighten them, and left them alone. A couple of my bolts on the cutting edge were worn down, so I replaced them. I assembled the cutting edge and shoes to the blade, then shot it as one piece. Similarly, I assembled the whole subframe, and shot it as one piece. Then I shot the hanger and lift brackets individually. Since I finished it the only bolts I have ever removed is the 2 rear bolts so I could mount it as a grader. Everything else stays together, all of the time, unless you brake something.

Also, I made tracings of the Cub 54A decal prior to sand blasting, then made a template and spray painted them back on. I figured that I would not find a decal, so that ended up being a good way to get back to original condition. The International and IH decals were readily available.

Here are a couple of pics.

Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Return to “Farmall Cub”