This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub/154 ampmeter gage?? Rear Rims and tires??

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Cub/154 ampmeter gage?? Rear Rims and tires??

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:07 pm

1. I notice my amp meter gage jumps back and forth when i'm running my cub it looks like a vibration rather than going + and -. Is that normal or should it be steady.

2. Thinking ahead to the first of the year(after the holidays) will the rear rims off a Farmall cub fit my 154, the inner plates and outer rims? I was thinking of getting new 9,5x24 ARG tires mounted on an extra set of rims for my 154cub. I already have the 8,3x24 turf tires on it now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:12 pm

I have a very nice set of 154 rims if you'd be interested with the tires already removed. Just PM me. Thanks Brandon.

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Big Bill Sounds like the gauge is jiggling from vibration does the battery go dead or lose charge like its not charging? I have a question for you . I have been kicking around getting a set of turf tires for my rears. I'm building a house and won't have all this grass to cut and chores I use the cub for here on the farm for and it will be only cutting grass and blading the lane road and maybe some snow removal. Are the turf tires just plain slick if you get them into any kind mud or wet grass? These AG tires are kinda hard on a lawn if its wet or damp. Don't get me wrong I cut 8 acres with them, but I may have to pull a hay wagon or even a dry gravity wagon and I know the turf's would have a tuff time in a field. But those days will be gone in the spring next year for me hence the question.Thanks..Bill
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:48 pm

This is what i'm trying to figure out now is the ARG tires better than the turf tires traction wise. Which one will handle any condition or most conditions like wet grass, soft soil or loose gravel. Thats why i want to try the 9,5 ARG tires in the spring so i can compare them to the 8,3 turf tires in a sameday test to be fair. I just don't have enough experiencve with them yet. Maybe someone with years of cub experience will chime in and help us out. Now I realize that with ladder tire chains they work better with turf tires. Using ladder chains they will fall into the spaces between the threads using ARG tires we do lose a small percentage of there traction/bite. The Duo link chains work better for ARG tires. This is how it looks to me when i put on ladder chains on ARG tires.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:10 pm

As a rule, AG tires typically will have better traction on most surfaces that have some give to them. The down side is that they do leave a serious impression on soft soil and turf. Turf tires are good on dry surfaces and artificial surfaces such as concrete.

At Cub Tug this year neither tire proved to be superior in traction on a hard packed dirt surface.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:24 am

I can understand the hard packed dirt being the same I just have to be careful about those little chicken tracks I leave if the ground is soft. The good thing is they go away as soon as the grass grows some!! But they will dig a hole quick if your not careful in a soft lawn with the AG type tires I have turf tires on the cub cadet but its just a lawn mower with little to no weight compared to a cub. I don't have much trouble with it cutting dry grass but a little wet or soft and its spinning and making skid marks. It's new and sits in my shop I just don't use it. But if the granson wants to cut the grass he has a nice one to do it on. It just won't cut as wide or as nice as the older brother Cub and I like gettin done earlier!!!
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

John in Ct
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John in Ct » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:00 pm

I had the same problem with my 154 gauge. I put a new one and it is fine now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”