This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

She said it was a Cub..... My saga begins.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:08 pm

Get some help from freinds.
Can you disconnect the plow :?: Leave it till you get the tractor out. Find a place to take the tractor to start work on it.
Just take your time. Have fun and be safe on the project.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:47 pm

wvpolekat wrote:There is a frame of some sort that you can see in the picture that runs from the very front, underneath to the same points the drawbar attaches to. Think that would be ok?

That will be OK. If you happen to bend that frame a little, it won't be expensive.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:47 am

Now, for what I fear will be the worst part. Getting it up on the trailer. I have a couple of ideas here:

If you have a tug vehicle in addition to the trailer puller and also a little open space you have it made. Well, for two people at least. Jacknife the trailer to get the towing truck out of the way and the second truck should be able to easily pull the tractor aboard from the beside the tow vehicle, with the second person steering the tractor. It works for me. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:27 pm

HECK OF A FIND.I AGREE ON NOT GETTING RID OF STUFF YET.GET IT ALL OUT AND KEEP IT FOR A WHILE .I USE EVERYTHING I HAVE GATHERED.KETCHAM
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:48 am

I agree with everyone here....Keep your implements.....

The super A is a very workable machine, has hydraulics, and an aftermarket 3-pt hitch is readily available. There isn't much on 14 acres that you cannot do with a Super-A.......

The two way plow is a very nice thing to have, if you intend to garden or farm at all......

I agree with you, however, in that getting it unstuck is worth trying. Resleeving is probably not the most difficult thing in the world, when rebuilding, but it sure gets expensive in a hurry.

The way she looks, you're gonna be spending a fortune in gaskets as it stands....

I, too, would like to see a pic of the other tractor.....it might even prove more interesting from a "user's" point of view than the Super A.......

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies sofar. Here is the plan for next Sat as of right now:

1) Take a picture of the other one for you guys
2) Pull the Super out of it's current dwelling
3) Chain up or remove the plow. This will depend on where it will be at that time. I don't want to just leave it in her yard.
4) Pull it around to someplace my helpless 2wd truck can get to it.
5) Attach pulley to front of trailer, attach one end of cable to tractor, then through pulley, back under tractor to tug vehicle.
6) SLOWLY and Easily pull it up on the trailer.
7) Figure out what of the other bits I can fit on the trailer and in the truck and pile them on accordingly.
8) Post picture from #1
9) Try to make more accurate assesment of what I have gotten myself into and devise a game plan. First step will be some Marvel Mystery oil, the on to the Kroil if that doesn't work. If both of those fail, I will just buy a complete kit and go to town.

As for the implements, I will keep them for the time being, although, I dont see me raising a garden, but you never know. Most of our 14 acres is far from pasture/field material. Lots of rocks and whatnot, as well as hillsides that I wouldnt go across on my ATV, let alone a tractor. But, I will hang on to them just in case.

A 3 point will depend alot on how much effort it takes to get it running. If it frees up easily, and I am able to get it going, then I will go down the 3 point road quickly as I have access to alot of 3 point stuff. If not, I will probably just pick up an N or something to push snow with and other tasks like augering the poles in for a barn.

Since the wife views this as a bit of an heirloom, I have her full support an permisson to do whatever is needed to get it going and looking good. It's not intended to be a smart investment or a wise use of money. Not to say I am going to go hog wild, but if it takes a re-sleeve, thats what it takes. Replacing gaskets and such is just time and very little money. I have decided that I am going to build me an electrolosys tank and give that a go. Beyond that, I just need to get a better idea of where I stand on everything.

And, yesterday, next to my favorite greasy spoon, I spy a Cub sitting there very lonely, may have to see what the story with that little guy is.

But... For tonight, I am going to go pout about the Mountaineers poor showing today against USF.
49 Super A (Tinker) 47 Ford 2N (Cricket)
----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:51 am

Pull the spark plugs and put some "Kroil" in each cylinder a few drops, she could be just stuck from sitting and it may turn over in a few days and be ok. Once it free's up add some motor oil in the cylinder just a few drops will do to pre lube her. I passed on one here for $300 with a stuck motor.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:42 pm

Nice find!! I'd like to get a nice project tractor like that one day to tear apart and rebuild. Implements are always great to come across. As you get into these tractors, you'll find how nice it is to have and relatively easy to restore them.I'm with everyone else, intrigued by your story and wondering what your other tractor is!!
Trent McPeak

Psycho
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Psycho » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:14 am

Looks good. I hope to get one of those one day also. Wife's gonna kill me... :? Good luck with it.
Bob
"If at first it doesn't move, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
1948 Cub, 1957 Cub

Joe Howard
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Joe Howard » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:21 pm

This should maybe be under a complete new topic / header, but with the talk about new sleeves, it prompts me to ask what can be done with the Cub engine (unsleeved) when you're at the max oversize pistons already, .030" over (I think) in case, God forbid, that that engine has to be redone. Are sleeves available for the Cub if needed. My crank is still ok, has at least one and (I think) two grinds left. J Howard
-DO NOT OVERLOAD-

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:23 pm

yuo can go .040 over with no trouble, and I have heard of .060 over, but haven't had any direct dealings at that size.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:49 pm

Joe Howard wrote:This should maybe be under a complete new topic / header, but with the talk about new sleeves, it prompts me to ask what can be done with the Cub engine (unsleeved) when you're at the max oversize pistons already, .030" over (I think) in case, God forbid, that that engine has to be redone. Are sleeves available for the Cub if needed. My crank is still ok, has at least one and (I think) two grinds left. J Howard

Cheap way out would be to purchase a running engine from one of the advertisers on this board. Or better yet purchase a parts tractor.

http://www.valubilt.com has a .040 and a .060 over rebore kit for $172.79 (fall 06 catalog).

Try the advertisers on this board. They may have an overbore kit.

Eugene

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:02 pm

I think every one of us dreams of a deal like this. It's one of those once-in-a-lifetime things unless your name is BigDog...

My belated advice to this thread is, don't make things overly complicated.

For example, pulling the tractor up on the trailer: Unless you've already got a pulley and cable, you're going to spend a LOT of money on these items. The idea of jacknifing the trailer and pulling it straight on is much easier and only requires a simple tow strap or rope.

It's going to take 3-4 of your strongest friends, and a case of beer, to push the tractor up on the trailer... My H's clutch is out and I thought if we got it uphill of the shed and let it roll back, it would hop up in there easy as pie! NOT! Even with the tires pumped up they don't roll that good, and when it hit the low spot in front of the shed door, that's as far as she went. A Super A is lighter, yes, but you've got quite a hill to climb pushing it up on the trailer.

Definitely air up the tires to make it roll easier, preferably from a distance using a locking air chuck and the control valve on your air compressor. Who knows how rotten those tires are...

Get the tractor outside and unbolt the two plow bottoms. It'll make it so much easier to deal with. If the tractor would fit on the trailer with the plow bottoms, you should be able to set the loose bottoms on the trailer and strap them down under the tractor right? No need to worry about leaving them beind because you won't.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:12 pm

Super A with 2-way plow is nigh onto 2700 lbs, I do believe.........

Won't give you too much trouble until you hit the ramp of the trailer.......

A come-along will do it, but it'll take you awhile....

two guys can't roll a cub up a ramp (usually) by the back tires, let alone a Super-A........

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:34 pm

Well, since we didn't get as much rain as we were forcast, we are going to go fetch it in the morning. And, YES, I will get pictures of the other one, but wont be picking it up.

Talked to the wifes uncle last night, who operates heavy equipment to see if he had any suggestions or tricks. He asked how wide it was and said he would call me back this evening. No idea what is up his sleeve, but I suspect it involves a trailer with a winch or similar.

The jack knifing idea is probably the best one yet. I do already have about 30 feet of cable and a pulley, so if need be, there is still that option.

Luckly, all I HAVE to pick up this go round is the tractor, and can come back later for the rest of the bits.

Either way, between a few trucks and a bunch of chains, straps and cables, we will figure something out. Worst comes to worse, I can borrow a good size rollback with a winch and all that. Just seems like overkill to start with.

There will be lots of pictures sometime Saturday. Lookout Keystone cops!
49 Super A (Tinker) 47 Ford 2N (Cricket)

----------------------------------------------------------

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”