This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cracked Block Repair

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Cracked Block Repair

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:56 am

This is what I have done in the past and plan to do again soon to another engine. (On a recent eBay prize). When I get a round tuit I plan to take photos, but for now I'll try to do it with words, as best I can remember from a dozen years ago.

The load that breaks the ears is mostly tensile. Cast iron isn't very strong in tension, and in spite of what many think welded cast iron near a repair is even weaker, although the weld itself may be very strong. For that reason I use bolts.

The 3 lowest front cover bolts (3/8") are removed and the holes drilled out to 7/16" clearance as deep as the crack (and no deeper!) and then the hole is continued as deep as absolutely possible for 7/16-14 tap size without breaking through and tapped with a bottoming tap. 2 more new holes are then drilled between the originals and treated the same way so there are 5 bolts to carry the load.

It's very important to have as many threads as possible, so maybe all but the top one which would break out in the oil pressure relief could be through holes. (I used all closed holes before, but through if possible would allow more threads) Each grade 8 bolt should be bottomed and the amount remaining under the head measured to determine how much to shorten, and each bolt should be marked so it goes in the right hole.

I don't know for sure this repair is as strong as original, but it must be close. Only those with sharp eyes will see the larger bolt heads and the one extra that is visible, so this could even be done to a damaged show tractor.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:17 pm

Great idea :!: I wonder if using a 7/16-20 thread would be beneficial, giving almost 50% more threads. I often wondered why IH used a 10-24 screw in the bolster when the depth of the hole is only about .5" and the screw only .38" long. Not much thread bite if using a lock washer. :shock:
8)

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 pm

You described it very well George. Thank you. I am looking forward to the pictures. Sounds better that what I did, even though its been 2 years and still holding up. If I ever do another one, I plan on doing something like you described. I just removed one bolt and drilled through the crack, tapped it, squeezed in some JB Weld and put a longer bolt in its place.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:57 pm

Donny M wrote:Great idea :!: I wonder if using a 7/16-20 thread would be beneficial, giving almost 50% more threads. I often wondered why IH used a 10-24 screw in the bolster when the depth of the hole is only about .5" and the screw only .38" long. Not much thread bite if using a lock washer. :shock:
8)

Donny,

There's a good reason fine threads are only very rarely used in cast iron. The coarse threads are much stronger.

I've wondered about the 10-24 dogleg screws too. Rambo's are all 1/4-20 now and I expect to change others over as well.
George Willer

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:45 pm

George Willer wrote:
Donny M wrote:Great idea :!: I wonder if using a 7/16-20 thread would be beneficial, giving almost 50% more threads. I often wondered why IH used a 10-24 screw in the bolster when the depth of the hole is only about .5" and the screw only .38" long. Not much thread bite if using a lock washer. :shock:
8)

Donny,

There's a good reason fine threads are only very rarely used in cast iron. The coarse threads are much stronger.

I've wondered about the 10-24 dogleg screws too. Rambo's are all 1/4-20 now and I expect to change others over as well.

Mr. GW,

Is the root dia. the reason a 14 pitch bolt is stronger :?:
8)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:26 pm

Donny M wrote:
George Willer wrote:
8)

Donny,

Mr. GW,

Is the root dia. the reason a 14 pitch bolt is stronger :?:
8)

Donny,

It would take a real engineer to say for sure. :lol: I only play one on farmallcub.com. :shock: What I'm pretty sure of is that the crests of the threads add very little strength because of Cast Iron's brittleness. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the broader roots are more forgiving.
George Willer

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:10 pm

I am no engineer either but I see it the same way as George does for cast iron. Many hand tapped holes in cast iron are ragged to say the least. My old Polish machinest friend used lard as the lubricant for cast. Bill Murowski tapped clean holes in cast. I remembered my old Frenchs Engineering Drawings book and dug it out. for Cast iron, Brass and Bronze the minimum entrance length is 1 1/2 diameter. Steel is diameter and Aluminun 2 times diameter. It is general commercial practice to use 75% of the theoretical depth of thread for tapped holes. This gives about 95 per cent of the strength of a full thread and is much easier to cut. Our commonly used taps and dies are made to provide this 75%.
As a test, a bolt inserted in an experimental nut made with only one-half a full depth of thread will break before the thread will strip. I don't see any reference to wheter this is a grade 2, 5 or 8 bolt. Used with cast bolt head may be a consideration if the head rests on cast. A chamher at the hole entrance for the radius under the head, or a washer faced head. Fo course using washers and lock washers fits in to this too.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:29 am

Bill , Exactly on the depths, that is my standard for tapped holes, I learned that from an old Die maker.
As a common practice in the molding industry, our shop used to helicoil all Aluminum casting tapped holes. Now I know these can be weaker than most, This got pricey at times , but not as pricy as having a failed mold during a production run.
I have helicoiled the 5/8 -11 on our cub due to stripped threads. That's the only way I will go now, Can be pricey for one Kit. However My brother gave me the Kit
MY .02
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

g19605
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19605

Postby g19605 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:24 am

The Helicoil idea is real good for cases where repeated insertion and removal is required. This is especially good for aluminum where seizing and galling is to be expected. The Helicoil wire is very smooth and the "squeeze" is high for a given torque.
I don't know how the strength angle works out -- since the circle of contact of the Helicoil wire is considerably larger than that of the bolt/stud that fits into it. I think that the Helicoil people have lots of information on the subject.
George

Return to “Farmall Cub”