This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow Blower project (UPDATED PICS)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Snow Blower project (UPDATED PICS)

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Hi All :D . I have a project going on now that should be done in time for George's Cubfest in January. This project is for a friend, another George :shock: (IH48) and we decided to mount a two stage snow blower to the front of his '48 Cub. George has a 16hp engine that will drive this blower, separate from the Cub's engine. The framework will extend to the rear finals, and the engine will set about midway under the torque tube for easy viewing. All the controls will be at his reach. This blower seems to fit the Cub well and is about as heavy as the stock snow blade set-up. It's also the perfect width. We plan to simply pull some pins for easy, drive off backwards, removal. The engine will clear the front axle when backing over it. Here's a couple picture of the planning stages. I'll keep everyone posted from day to day as we make progress. It will be equiped with the snow cab also. Let it snow(in a couple weeks) :shock:

Rick
Last edited by Rick Prentice on Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Way to go rick, quite some yrs ago I almost conjured up a front mount blower myself. Somewhere in Canada there is a guy who has one that runs off of a jack shaft all the way under front rear to front. I think using a seperate powerplant is the way to go though that way the blower can run full power while the Cub idles around at the slowest possible speed.
Now wouldn't a hydro Cub be just sweet here. Somebody ought to dream one up. :wink:

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:04 pm

Just curious Rick, what is that blower from? Gary

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:07 pm

It's an MTD from Tractor Supply. It's new and has never been mounted on anything. Just been setting for a couple years.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:17 pm

Rick:

It is kind of neat how this is coming together. I have been dreaming about building a snow blower for my cubs for a couple of years, and I think I have posted questions on the feasibility of this project.

I have always believed that whatever was used would have to have an independant power source separate from the Cub, one where the actual speed of the augers and impellers would be much higher than can be developed from the Cubs PTO.. that way a creeper gear would not be needed.

I have also looked at getting an older MTD etc., 54 inch blower but they are even old and well used outside of my price bracket.. but a pair of 26 or 28" blowers would be do-able.. although they would have to be matched.

My thoughts have turned to a single 12 or 13 hp B&S or Tecumseh to power the one blower via a drive shaft with pulleys mounted to the shaft and to the other blower unit so that the single engine will power both blowers. Certainly is do-able as has been confirmed by my small engine guru... so now the search is on.

I have been trying to figure out how to mount em up.. on the front end using a framework similar to the Cub-54A mounts and extended back to the rear finals or to the substitute or regular draw-bar. I also believed that the weight of even two blower units would not come close to the weight of the Cub-54A blade setup.. so again do-able.

I am eagerly awaiting your progess reports on this project, and it is a definite candidate for another one of your How To Articles...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Rick,
This is neat. Just last week the boys and I were talking about how we could mount a snowblower to the Cub.
Rudi,
We had the same idea as you, two blowers hooked together side-by-each, etc.

What prompted this is that I have a 1963 S226 Snow Bird that still runs, weighs a ton, but don't really need it anymore now that I have the Cub.
Look forward to seeing pictures of the finished product.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:08 pm

I foolishly read that post without at first looking who posted it. I said to myself, "Much heavier than 54 blade. Engine under the Cub? Gimme me a break. No creeper, either." Then I backed up to see who would come up with such a cockamamie idea. Billyandmillie! Silly me! It'll work. It'll work well! Can't wait to see pics.... :D
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:27 pm

This is a way cool idea. At Cubarama there was a Cub with a snowblower. The engine was mounted at the rear with a drive shaft that ran all the way under the tractor. It was very well done. Antbody have any pics?

I know yours will be a mechanical work of art :D
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:10 pm

More pix at http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/Snow%20blower/

It is removable by pulling 4 pins, and the belt is tightened by the depth control lever.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:46 am

In "Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet" by Ken Updike, on page 51, is a picture of just such an arrangement in action.

The blower was manufactured by Danco, and was powered by a separate engine mounted on the drawbar.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:55 am

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Good idea and we have to think out of the box and break the norm and make it work. Way to go.

Since the blowers run a tad from the ground you can offest the weight by using casters on the rear of the blower housing. A drive shaft can be run from the PTO with pillow blocks to run the blower. You just need to figure out the ratio so the speed is correct.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:54 pm

You could drive the blower with a hydraulic motor and have the pump driven with the power take off
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:11 pm

john2189 wrote:You could drive the blower with a hydraulic motor and have the pump driven with the power take off

That's definitely true... if you had sufficient horsepower from the engine to burn. Not with a Cub. :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Yes, notice that the Danco unit is powered by its own engine mounted on the rear drawbar.

Cubs are far too fast in low gear and/or lack sufficient power (and live PTO) to run a snowblower. If you have to push the clutch to chew through a hard spot, the PTO stops, and the snowblower plugs :(

Number-series LoBoys have an "independent" PTO, higher horsepower, and a more widely-available creeper gear. Snowblowers for these tractors are driven off the engine.

Return to “Farmall Cub”