This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission, please help!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Andy94
10+ Years
10+ Years

Transmission, please help!

Postby Andy94 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:38 pm

Hi,
I am currently rebuilding a 1947 Farmall Cub and I just got into my transmission I have a few questions I'm hoping you might be able to answer before I order new parts.
1st I removed the transmission shaft rear bearing assembly (front shield, bearing, and rear shield). It looks like I damaged the front shield while driving out the bearing. Is this something that is always replaced when removing the bearing?
2nd The manual says there should be an oil hole in the transmission shaft rear roller bearing. The one I removed did not have a hole in it; do the new ones, and is there a need for it to be?
3rd What does the transmission shaft rear bearing shield do, and how do you drive it on?
If any of you are able to answer any of these questions, I‘d sure appreciate it. I am hoping to figure this out soon, so I can order new parts and get to the reassembly process!
Thanks,
Andy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:15 pm

Short answer... if I recall the shields are avaiable and relatively inexpensive. YOu may be able to reuse them. There are also one on the shift fork rods. I don't recall seeing a hole in the old or new bearing.

I have a strong preference for quality bearings, they are reasonable from a dealer or from Tom at TM.... couldn't hurt to call him and get his ideas on the whole thing too. He won't sell you something you don't need.

Good Luck

Larry
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:29 pm

Andy,

Here's about everything you would need.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/tr_001newparts.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Andy94
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Andy94 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:43 pm

Thanks, I have been buying almost of all of the parts I need from Tom at TM. He has been terrific to deal with. I plan to replace all of the bearings, gaskets, and seals, and it looks like I will be needing a new PTO shaft and possibly a new clutch/transmission shaft. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I place the BIG order.
That said, does anyone have an idea on how to remove the old 'races' or 'inner cone bearings.'

RAW in IA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RAW in IA » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:00 pm

If you can't get hold of them with a puller hook, and you are ging to replace them, weld a bead on the inside of the race part of the way around them. when they cool they will fall out, almost.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:46 pm

I just rebuilt the tranny on the 57, all new bearings and races. I always replace races when I do the bearings. Also the new rear bearing that I purchased from Case I/H did now have the oil hole.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:15 pm

Cecil,
I'll be picking your brain at your MiniFest on how to do the tranny.
Hope you kept good notes.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:00 am

Andy;
I think the hole refrenced here is in the transmission case above the rear bearing. It's there to catch splash lubrication for the bearing when the tractor is moving. The bearing shields are there to hold oil in the bearing as a small resavoir. Although that's not really necessary when the tractor is moving, it's sorely needed if the tractor sets idling in neutral for a length of time, or especially if doing stationary PTO work. When the tractor is not moving, the upper bearings receive no lubrication!
My 48 Cub had a bad rear bearing when I bought it, and the bearing surface of the shaft was damaged as well. (be sure to check yours) I believe there are two design issues here: 1. A roller bearing that runs directly on the shaft. 2. No means of lubrication when setting still.
Not wanting to spend big bucks, just to put a poor design back together, I came up with a solution. I found that by removing about .010" from the bearing surface of the shaft, a sealed ball bearing (I think I used a 6202, not sure) fit perfectly. The repair cost a total of about $3 and I believe it's a better setup. This repair has received the George Willer stamp of approval!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:50 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Not wanting to spend big bucks, just to put a poor design back together, I came up with a solution. I found that by removing about .010" from the bearing surface of the shaft, a sealed ball bearing (I think I used a 6202, not sure) fit perfectly. The repair cost a total of about $3 and I believe it's a better setup. This repair has received the George Willer stamp of approval!

My record shows two bearing numbers:

ND 3L04
SKF 6004

The shaft should be reduced to .787" where the bearing rides.

I think its an excellent modification. :D :D :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:00 pm

Peter,
How about this. I have an old one sitting outside. I'll bring it in and we can tear it down and discuss how to repair and replace the bearings etc.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:37 pm

I am planning the same thing (change to d different bearing) when I reassemble my transmission. Mine is a 1955 lo-boy and I had to have both the shaft turned down where the bearing ride and the transmission case bored out so the OD of the bearing would press fit in the case. Apparently they had a couple of different designs for the rear bearing.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:42 am

Thanks George! I didn't remember the size of shaft & bore. It's been a few years and I didn't remember them that large. Anyway, it's a very common, easy to find bearing.
I don't know about different case designs, it's certainly possible. I guess I was luckey.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:38 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Thanks George! I didn't remember the size of shaft & bore. It's been a few years and I didn't remember them that large. Anyway, it's a very common, easy to find bearing.
I don't know about different case designs, it's certainly possible. I guess I was luckey.

I guess I was lucky too. The bearings I mentioned were an exact fit in the case bore, and only require a little cleaning up on the shaft.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:19 pm

Cecil,
That would be great!
Thanks,
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Here is the difference I mentioned. I got the bearing George used but it wouldn't fit in the case without modification to the case and I couldn't find a different one that would.

http://dhutchens.yadtel.net/implements/slides/rear%20bearing.html
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Return to “Farmall Cub”