Radiator tube "hit the fan" what now?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Radiator tube "hit the fan" what now?

Postby Dave B '47 CT » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:45 pm

I was mowing last summer when I heard all kinds of racket from the front of the engine. I shut Sparky down, and found that the radiator overflow tube had somehow gotten in the way of the fan blade. Well, I broke the overflow tube off to finish my mowing. How should I effect a repar?
Dave B '47 CT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bigdog » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:00 pm

Solder or braze a stub on (if there isn't enough left) and get some rubber tubing. Unless you're talking about a restoration, then you should be able to replicate what was there.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com
Bigdog
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 43154
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby johnbron » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:57 pm

This subject just reminded me that the last time I used my Cub I heard the fan making a grinding noise while it was having a heavy push with the front blade. I dont know if it was the shroud or ? cause I checked for rub marks but found none. Anybody hear fan rub noise while pushing with the front blade?.
Then came Bronson
johnbron
CubPro Emeritus

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:12 pm

Check your fan hub. Fan hitting anything usually is a sign of a worn out hub bearing. You want to catch it before the fan hits the radiator.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby johnbron » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:18 am

Jim Becker wrote:Check your fan hub. Fan hitting anything usually is a sign of a worn out hub bearing. You want to catch it before the fan hits the radiator.

Thanks Jim, I will put this info on my check list for when I uncover the Cub. I didn`t notice anything loose when I oiled the hub but I will give it a good check when I pull the hood/tank off come dry weather.
Then came Bronson
johnbron
CubPro Emeritus

Fan hitting shield

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:41 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Check your fan hub. Fan hitting anything usually is a sign of a worn out hub bearing. You want to catch it before the fan hits the radiator.

Started the cub up for the first time in a few weeks and I think I have this very problem. Fan hitting the shield every once in awhile. Can see that the fan is movind a little and some vibration in the belt.

How big a job is this to correct? Any hints on how to do greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
malcolm
Malcolm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Return to Farmall Cub