This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Frozen chicken eggs

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
JHaburay
10+ Years
10+ Years

Frozen chicken eggs

Postby JHaburay » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi,
I have a question, silly as it may seem and any help would be apprciated. Myhens have started laying eggs. It is 18 degrees today and will be very cold for the next week or so. I know they lay around 10 or so in the morning but I am not able to fetch the eggs until 5 or 6 at night. They are frozen, I am sure by then. They have a coop but I know it is cold enough to frezze the eggs fairly quickly as they are not really nesting on them for any time yet as they are new layers. Can I put the frozen eggs in the fridge like always and still eat them, or is this not wise? I hate to toss them out. I have 14 fairly young hens and am getting 6 eggs a day now. A month ago was four a day so more of course are starting to lay. I still have another month or so of cold weather to deal with. Thanks-John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:54 pm

John, click on this link and scroll down a bit.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3507.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:03 pm

Well now:

That info seems to be primarily for commercially handled eggs, and I do not really see where it applies to those who raise their own hens/layers. What may be recommended for city folk and what country folk do is two completely different critters. We used to have lots of layers at one time.. before it got to the point I could no longer care for my hens properly.

With our cold temps.. occassionally we would have a "frozen" egg or so.. sometimes a half dozen or so. But they really are not frozen. If they froze, the shells would burst. Then they would be contaminated. They are just cold I would think. We have used them, usually the next morning or so.. after the night in the fridge.

So, I guess I am saying that we never minded it much. Don't keep em for weeks, as I am not sure what would be the recommended procedure.. but I do know this.. when my grandparents and their kin had layers back in the teens, 20's and 30's, there were no such thing as heated coops.. and they still had eggs all winter. The hens would keep most of em warm.. once they got used to it..

As long as the shells are not breached, they are perfectly ok.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:34 pm

Ditto what Rudi said. When we had chickens frozen eggs in the winter was common but we used em and we're still here. Also when I was mess cookin in the navy it was common to open a box of frozen eggs that were 4 years old. The cooks mostly used those for baking. Eat up and enjoy :) :) Dave
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:33 am

I raise wild waterfowl, have had eggs laid in freezing temps before incubation started, If they did not crack they would stiil hatch,
AMAZING!
Eat them just don't thaw them and leave them sitting around.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

Postby jakeesspoo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:08 am

The eggs shouldnt freeze that fast. We only collect our eggs once or twice a day and Ive only had less than 10 ruined eggs this year and its been about 5 degrees the last few days. And as long as they dont crack I dont see why you couldnt use them. You can crack all the eggs you want and put them in a tupperware container or whatnot and freeze them for storage. I have never done this, since we have people lined up to buy the eggs but i have read it in my poultry books.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”