This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Synthetic gear oil???

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Synthetic gear oil???

Postby BigBill » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:01 pm

I have 5 gallons of new synthetic gear oil and i was thinking of using it in my cub cadets so what do you think about it? In the tranny's on my 70, 100 & 122?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:16 pm

One thing to keep in mind, the transmission in a Cub Cadet will collect water, if from nothing more than condensation (sp). If they set outside they will collect even more water.

IH called for the use of Hy-Tran or 30 W engine oil in the transmission of gear drive Cub Cadets. I would recommend, and I only use, Hy-Tran, because it has the ability to incapsulate/absorb the water, but you are free to use what ever you want.........they are your Cub Cadets.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:18 am

for all of the 16 bucks it will cost you for the Hy tran... I'd just buy it. There is a reason things are spec'd for certain fluids, fasteners, etc to be used on them. The synthetic may work, but then again... a grade 2 bolt will still fit in the same hole as a grade 8... but for how long until something lets go? The the minimal difference in cost, you save a lot of trouble down the road. I wouldn't chance it, not for 16 dollars. That's lunch. I very much agree with Paul B on this.
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:53 am

Ritter107 wrote:for all of the 16 bucks it will cost you for the Hy tran... I'd just buy it. There is a reason things are spec'd for certain fluids, fasteners, etc to be used on them. The synthetic may work, but then again... a grade 2 bolt will still fit in the same hole as a grade 8... but for how long until something lets go? The the minimal difference in cost, you save a lot of trouble down the road. I wouldn't chance it, not for 16 dollars. That's lunch. I very much agree with Paul B on this.

I could use it on my muffler bearing too..... :roll:
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:59 pm

I don't use anything but syntheic gear oil for all of my muffler bearings. :D
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:37 am

I have heard rave reviews about Red Line Heavy Shockproof synthetic gear oil from my other FORUM (Weekend Freedom Machines).

It's not cheap by any means (over $7.00 a quart), but I'm willing to try the stuff out in my Cub Cadet Model 73 & my JD 112 gear drive transmissions. I keep all my tractors in my garage, and they are run on a regular basis (normally once every weekend) so excessive condensation build up is probably not going to be a real factor.
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:19 am

I had 5 gallons of new synthetic gear oil given to me. When i worked for an engineering firm we tested oils to see what we were going to go with and use in the field. We had all kinds of samples sent to us for testing. I kind of like the idea of synthetic oil when the tractor is outside or in a cold building because the synthetic oil doesn't thicken up when it gets cold temps. It could extend the life of the transmission gears and bearings even more. I wouldn't use it in the auto tranny's but for the gear tranny's I would think it would work. I was just wondering if anyone else is using synthetic gear oil in there cubs/cub cadets.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:25 am

BigBill wrote:
I kind of like the idea of synthetic oil when the tractor is outside or in a cold building because the synthetic oil doesn't thicken up when it gets cold temps. It could extend the life of the transmission gears and bearings even more.

I wouldn't use it in the auto tranny's but for the gear tranny's I would think it would work.

///////////

I sure read an awful lot of posts in other forums about people swearing by using nothing but Synthetic oils in their vehicle automatic transmissions. :?:
Then came Bronson

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:12 pm

:P i wasnt a beleiver in synthedic oils till i used it in a cub. I used motor oil first. I surprised at how much faster the engine turned over with the starter. I also used redline gear oil in tranny, finals and steering. I couldnt beleive how much quieter the tranny was. It was a rebuilt tranny but still made a big difference.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Cub Cadet”