This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hand Lift imps

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hand Lift imps

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:23 am

Just wondering about hand lift implements. Is it hard to handle say a plow and or snow blade on a Cub without hydro.?

I'm still shopp'n and those are the two attachments I would eventually like to have once I find a tractor. If the hand lift works fairly easy it opens my search a little more to "non hydro." units.

As always thanks for the help!

Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:40 am

Guy. I have used the blade on both. It works fine manually, however it's more work. Just slows you up some. I haven't used plows, but for cultivators I would give you the same answer. I wouldn't have any problem suggesting both are OK to use with manual operation. Just easier with hydraulics.
Ron

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Hand-lift Implements

Postby Dan England » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:42 am

I use a mid-mount blade and a sickle mower with a hand lift. The lift mechanism should have an adjustable spring that reduces the amount of force which is needed to raise the implements. I have one cub with and one without hydrolics and I believe that I have better control with the hand lift. Dan

Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:46 am

Hey Dan, do you have any photos of the cub with hand lift you could email me??

I just have not seen many. :D

g42guy@yahoo.com

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby (CUB HUT) » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:03 am

Sent you picture of my 1948 with hand lift.
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:26 am

Shopp'n Cubs,

Dan told you straight. The hand lift actually gives you better control for some things. Grading with a center mounted blade can work better with a properly adjusted hand lift. Where it isn't so good is with a moldboard plow. It's the dirt that has to come up with it that's the problem. The touch control can lift the plow without stopping but the manual lift will require stopping and sometimes even backing up.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:45 am

I've used a hand lift for 14 years, and got my first cub with a hydralic setup last year. The hand lift works great for most things, if you take the time to adjust the helper spring, and the linkage going to the front rockshaft (for center or front mount implements) The shortcomings of a handlift are as George mentioned, when plowing to get the plow into the ground you either have to hold the lever while moving forward to let the plow draft in, or over ride the spring to let it go down. When lifting you either have to stop and sometimes back up, or raise it slowly while going forward. Also when plowing snow, if you ram it into a snow bank you have to back up to raise the blade due to the snow being packed against it. Due to health, my tractor with hydralics is going to be the one I plow, grade, and push snow with, and the one I mow with will still have the handlift.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:04 am

Thanks for the posts guys!
I do have to admit, there is a side of me that kind of likes the simple and clean approach of the hand lift. Kind'a like it is more vintage that way, which is silly since hydro lifts where obviously around at the time.

Plus I have my little Kubota with all the niceties to play with!

Guy

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:46 am

Guy,

TM tractor parts has some good close-up shots of the hand lifts in their gallery and in their parts section.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Return to “Farmall Cub”